I was driving smelled a brunning smell pulled over didnt see anything. Went to drive away and now i have no stearnig any idea

20

Asked by May 04, 2015 at 01:11 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE1

I have a 2001 Pontiac grand am four door 6
cylinder

143,245

Are you sure your serpentine belt is still there? The burning smell was probably the power steering pump locked up, either the pulley bearing or the pump it's self, and friction of belt moving over frozen pulley. Is the battery light on the dash on? or any other warning lights?

20

The belt is still there but is moved. It kinda looks like the whole engine is move over towards the passenger side

58,495

Fordnut is right,your power steering pump is bad.

143,245

The whole engine? That's serious, unless it's an illusion created by the pulley out of alignment. But if it is really moved, motor mount(s). You really need a good mechanic Jessica before further damage happens

143,245

G'mornig TST. Sounds to me like more than one problem, eh?

58,495

Good morning FN, yes i agree if motor is over as she said,get it checked out quick.

20

Ok i was able to turn car to put on tow truck. But y would my serpentine belt move.

143,245

The power steering pulley threw it out. It went out of alignment and affects everything else

20

So do i need to replace more than just the belt. I heard something squeeking before this happened

143,245

Oh absolutely you do. The power steering pump at least, and whatever it takes to get everything back in alignment

60

So even tho i can turn my wheels i still need to change my power steering pump. And how do i kno if it all aligned cause im trying to do the fix myself

Best Answer
60

And do i need to replace the pump or the pulley.

143,245

Cars with power steering have mechanical redundant systems, so the if you loose power steering you won't lose ALL steering. Personally I would go ahead and replace the pump, it was the root of the problem. Then, make sure all the ribs on the belt are seated in the grooves in ALL the pulleys, no belt off by even one rib. Flat side of belt wraps on flat idlers and tensioner only Then when started, it's easy to tell if everything is aligned, watch and if there is no wobble..good to go

60

Should the pulley on the power steering pump move at all. Cause i got the belt off and my pully wiggles alot

143,245

The pulley it's self, unless damaged, is not the problem. The bearing it rides on is.

143,245

Side-to-side wiggle? No, no way should it do that. Leads right back to bearing

60

Well the groves on the pulley were it sit looks a lil stripped. And is the bearing it sits on connected to the pump or pulley?

60

Yea i can wiggle the pulley alot. So i think ima replace pulley and pump. Sounds like my best bet

143,245

The pump.The shaft that pulley goes on and comes out of pump bearing is part of pump.

143,245

There you go. If I was in your position...and I have been...that's what I would do. Then when you do get it replaced, fill reservoir with fluid to proper level, and there is No elaborate bleeding process. these systems bleed air out on their own with a few turns of the wheel

60

Ok thank u and i really appreciate all ur help. If i run into problems i will post on here again

143,245

May I say beautiful family. I have a grandson about that age.

60

Ty and im having trouble figuring out how to put the new pulley on the new pump. How hard on a scale 1-10 to change pump out. Im not dumb on cars but not to smart with them either

143,245

I have never done one on a Grand am. But looking, it's not as easy as most cars... I am going to give you some links, but put them in separate windows to make it easy to hyperlink

143,245

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41047&highlight=replace+power+steering+pump

143,245

http://www.ehow.com/how_4796180_steering-pump-pontiac-grand-am.html

143,245

http://www.business2community.com/automotive/how-to-replace-your-pontiac-grand-ams-power-steering-pump-0292291

143,245

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhOaJUAgPTA

60

Ty. Im having alot of problems.

60

How do i open links on my phone. Iv tapeed on them but nuiin hppens

60

I think this is over my head.

143,245

The video is the only one that address the pulley. It shows the guy using a pulling tool and impact gun to get it off...but nowhere could I find anything about putting it on the new pump. Some have to be pressed on.

143,245

Oww...that I don't know. Don't have a smart phone...my cell makes calls. Period.

143,245

Disable the air bag system if your Pontiac Grand Am is equipped with it. Make sure the front wheels are pointing ahead to the front of the car and the ignition switch is in the OFF position. Remove all the fuses related to the air bag system--consult your vehicle service manual if necessary. Wait a couple of minutes before you begin working on the power steering system. 2 Remove the air cleaner and duct from the top of the engine compartment and the evaporative emission-EVAP-canister purge solenoid valve if your model is equipped with one. You may use a wrench or ratchet and socket to remove the air cleaner and EVAP solenoid valve. 3 Remove the upper engine mount and the drive belt if you have a 3.4L engine. Use the appropriate wrench size or ratchet and socket. Make sure to support the engine with a floor jack once you have removed the engine mount. 4 Place a catch pan on the floor directly underneath the steering pump. Disconnect the hoses by loosening the clamps. You'll need a regular screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver or ratchet and socket. Remove the mounting bolts from the power steering pump using a wrench or ratchet and socket. 5 Lift the steering pump off the engine compartment by hand. 6 Set the new power steering pump in place by hand, install the mounting bolts and torque to 19-foot lbs (26 Nm). Install the hoses on the pump, connect the EVAP purge solenoid valve, upper air cleaner assembly and duct. 7 Torque the pump mounting bolts to 25 foot lbs. (34 Nm) if you have a 3.4L engine; install the drive belt and upper engine mount. Remove the floor jack from underneath the engine. 8 Fill the pump with power steering fluid using a funnel if necessary and bleed the system. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel completely from side to side; check the steering fluid frequently and add as needed until you purge the air from the system. Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_4796180_steering-pump-pontiac-grand-am.html

60

I hve the old pump out i just cant het the sensor and stuff off old one to put on new pump.