2001 Pontiac grand am won't turn over

Asked by Dec 19, 2015 at 04:29 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Hello there my car ran just fine yesterday an I go to
get in my car today an I try to start my car and it
won't start. It cranks but won't turn over.  My
securtiy light comes on but does not flash. My fuel
pump is still good because I can here it when I turn
the key to on. Does anyone have a solution for me

19,810

Just because you hear the pump come on when you turn the key on does not mean pump is working. If something inturnal has gone bad inside pump it will sound like its working but is not. To test spray some starting fluid or throttle body cleaner into throttle if vehicle starts then shuts back off you have a bad fuel pump but if it does not start at all you have a no spark problem.

25

Assuming the car has no pump or electrical problems from your question it actually sounds like the culprit is the famous and well known defect call the passlock which is in your ignition switch. After attempting to start and the car does not start but has a security light solidly on, turn the key to the off position and remove key, then put key back into ignition switch and turn to "on" position and leave in the "on" position for a minimum of ten minutes, turn the key back to off then try to restart the car. If the car starts replace the ignition switch, the passlock is part of the ignition switch and if you remove your radio you can reach in and pull the ignition switch out and replace in less than an hour, since you are only replacing the ignition switch housing with the passlock, you can reuse your lock and still be able to use your old keys instead of needing new keys. Passlock is a known problem causing exactly what you describe, if you need more information google "Passlock Grand Am". Good luck.