What can I do to fix the water leak flowing down behind my glove box onto the cables & connectors next to the BCM? Security syst. (solid light) is activated and won't let me start the car.

Asked by Dec 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

My 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 6 Cyl security keeps getting activated but it doesn't flashes and comes on and off whenever it wants to. The dealership fixed most of the problems such as the battery connections were slightly loose according to them. There was water corrosion on one of the connectors of the PCM or BCM. Dashboard lights were still flashing on and off a bit after I left the dealership but I never got stranded again until this morning when after a heavy rain, the security light stay solid, allow my car to start up but shut it down after 2 seconds. I noticed that behind and under the glove box there was a lot water dripping there which soaked cables and connections.My 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 6 Cyl security keeps getting activated but it doesn't flashes and comes on and off whenever it wants to. The dealership fixed most of the problems such as the battery connections were slightly loose according to them. There was water corrosion on one of the connectors of the PCM or BCM. Dashboard lights were still flashing on and off a bit after I left the dealership but I never got stranded again until this morning when after a heavy rain, the security light stay solid, allow my car to start up but shut it down after 2 seconds. I noticed that behind and under the glove box there was a lot water dripping there which soaked cables and connections. I wanted to replace the PCM or ignition sensor that might have caused me to be stranded all the time anywhere but it would seem the water was always the cause. How can I fix it so that the water doesn't get in there anymore is my question.

75,545

Sounds like either the windshield is leaking or the drain hole for the heater box is clogged. Do you get water on the carpet in the summer when running the air conditioning? If so that drain hole is clogged. HTH. -Jim

Thank you for answering first of all. No it doesn't leak when using the a/c in the summer. I removed the wipers and the bezel and there's two vertical draining holes on the side but there's also an opening above the air blower which is behind the glove box where water has found its way in. My car doesn't have an air cabin filter. I cleaned it and temporarily stuffed it with plastic bags and taped them. I used a hair dryer to take care of the wet cables and connectors. But when I plugged everything in, the car barely cranked because the battery was almost dead. the security light had disappeared though on the first try which was great news. I charged it awhile but at my second attempt to start up the car, the security light came back on and stayed solid. It came on and off as if somebody was playing with the switch. Everything is dried, the battery is charged and I just have to find a permanent solution for the rain water leak including the car's theft deterrent but I can't use my car because of the BCM who's acting up. Have you ever heard of a company named NewRockies? They supposedly created a small device that completely bypass the security systems of all GM vehicles. If so, it is my only salvation.

75,545

You're welcome, glad to help. Never heard of that company. Perhaps you can use some RTV in the areas where the water is getting in. Your local auto parts store will have it. The tube will have a pin point tip so you can easily direct the RTV to the leaking spots. HTH. -Jim