2001 Pontiac Grand Am- Battery won't stay charged, water was low in battery, refilled, and jump start...it ran fine but when I shut it off and later tried to start it, it won't start...what is causing that?

10

Asked by Mar 31, 2014 at 02:41 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

1,105

If the battery is 4 years old or more it is probably worn out. It is possible that the alternator is overcharging the battery, boiling the water out of the battery and that the diodes in the alternator are defective 1st guess is that your battery is worn out. Good luck with it.

10

The problem, I found out, was that the battery was very low of water and is that what ruined the battery because it won't charge. The battery was only a year old...could it lose water in that amount of time? Also, if that is the problem, then how often should you check your water in your battery?

1,105

Have someone check your alternator, if the voltage regulator (built into the alt.)is bad it will cause the battery to "overcharge", which will boil the water out of the battery and warp the battery plates. Have it checked right away, it will ruin the new battery too !! Good Luck with it.

4,505

Batteries don't lose water unless they are cracked (leaking), or are being severely overcharged. I have never checked a battery for water since 1980. Today's batteries are sealed no-maintenance style. Removing the caps is possible, but not necessary or even recommended. If the battery is less than a year old, take it back.