Starts and dies

175

Asked by Sep 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Why would my sons 2001 Grand Am start for a second and then die? I disconnected the negative side of battery and waited about 10 mins. Reconnected battery and it started. Ran for 4-5 mins, shut it off and attempted to restart only to have the same thing.. starts and dies. The only way to start it and keep it running is to disconnect the battery. Security light is on, but not flashing. Abs, check engine, and traction lights are also on when the vehicle was running for the 4-5 mins. Can anyone help? Thx, Hdel

66,045

Sounds like the security system is shutting down the engine. Are you using the same key as you always have? This vehicle has a transponder key. If you got a new key for some reason it must be programmed into the car's computer. HTH. -Jim

175

Used two different keys, both from the dealer back in 2001

66,045

Did your Son replace the original (Theftlock) radio? - Jim

175

No he did not

175

It does say LOCK on the radio display thou.

66,045

Ok, try this. Disconnect the battery as you described in your original post (to get the car to run). Then once you reconnect the battery turn the ignition to the run position but do not start the engine. Watch the "security" light on the dash. Within 10 minutes (tops) it should go out. If not there's a fault in the security system. Most likely the BCM (body control module). If the "security" light goes out, hopefully it will, turn the ignition off, remove the key, then reinsert the key and start the engine. It should be ok then. HTH. -Jim

175

Ok I'll give it a try. Keep you posted. Thx Jim

66,045

Just saw your post about the "lock" on the radio. Try the above. It's the security system shutting down the car. For some reason it "thinks" your trying to steal the car. - Jim

66,045

Ok, good, please do! That procedure should reset the security system. -Jim

175

Thx

66,045

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

175

Ok Jim I'm back.I had to jump the car. I'm been gone for a week and unable to look at it. When I was in the process of jumping the security light is flashing and there is a chime coming from the drivers side radio speaker. It chirps 3 times, then ten seconds later 4 chirps, another ten seconds 1 chirp. Then it repeats itself. Have not attempted to try to start it yet.

175

The security light just went off. The vehicle started right up. The chirps are still coming from the speaker thou. What's causing that? The vehicle is still running... afraid to shut it down until I hear from you.

66,045

Check the fuses. Particularly the "MALL PGM" fuse. Sounds like it's in program mode. My 2000 Grand Prix GT did the chime thing when I programmed the new key fobs to the car. For the programming that fuse, on mine, had to be removed. That's why I'm thinking yours may be blown. BTW the radio locked out because the battery went dead. Any time power is removed from the radio it'll do that unless the theftlock feature is turned off first. Do you have the code for the radio? HTH. -Jim

175

No I don't.. but the radio appears to be fine now that the vehicle is running.

66,045

Cool, did it stop chiming? -Jim

66,045

Hmmmmm, the chiming has me stumped. Maybe there's something in the owner's manual? Is anything else in the car not working? Lights, wipers, horn, etc.?

175

I noticed the day time running lights aren't working.

175

Also the power door locks stopped working.

66,045

Sounds like a BCM (body control module) failure. Those are both controlled by the BCM. -Jim

175

Ok, I'll look into that this coming week. Thanks for all your help Jim. Appreciate it.

66,045

You're welcome, glad to help. Glad you at least got it running today too! Keep me posted. -Jim

455

I can help with the security issue once and for all! Im a grand am specialist and have devised a permanent fix for the no start issue. If interested.. let me know. good luck and good day. :)

175

I'm interested for sure... vehicle is running as I speak but I'm doing a 24 hour shift today til 8:00 tomorrow am. Unable to look at it til after that. My concern right now is the chiming from drivers speaker. No power door locks, horn, or daytime running lights.

20

I wanted to say thanks to Hdel and Jim for their back and forth communication. I was able to use the suggestion to get my daughter's car finally running again after a very frustrating month of the same crap with no results. Thanks so much!!

66,045

You're welcome. Glad to help. Glad you got her back on the road again. Thanks for letting us know. -Jim

50

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am also. I have had the ignition system replaced and the BCM box replaced, but the car still will start sometimes without any problems, but other times, it starts and then immediately shuts down. Please help!!!

10

I been having some issues with my 2001 pontiac grand am also. I replaced the factory radio in the car because the cd player didn't work. Now some days the security light will come on and if you switch car off it will go out sometimes. Well today i went to start my car and it will switch on but sounded like it wasn't getting gas. Had car push to auto store and put on machine and the code said something theft fuel system. Please help

60

I had the same problem in my 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE1. The problem is the Passlock chip located in the ignition sw. I was able to fix the problem by bypassing the Passlock system. You can do this by inserting a 2200 ohm resister into the circuit which takes the place of the faulty chip. Checkout this excellent write up on how to do the procedure... http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm

my daughter is having the same problem with her 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix - car starts then dies.....I will do the battery/security light thing. Hope it works! dc

20

My 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix starts and then within 2 seconds it shuts off and it keeps doing it. I got the regulator changed cause that was what they said it was. It started and then a few days later it does the same thing again. Need help cause i'm getting frustrated and ready to scrap this piece of crap.

Are you using the same key every time you try starting the car? If not, try using the original key...see if that helps;)

20

I have tried everything . I finally took the car to an electrician who changed some kind of ignition module and reprogrammed everything it cost me $200 but the car has been working perfectly ever since. Thank you.

20

I have a 2001 grand prix SE and I have never changed the keys. It will start for a couple seconds and then shut off with security light blinking. It's at a shop right now and they have no idea when why it's doing this! It just started giving me problems I bought it in July, Please help!!

66,045

Hi Jessi, it sounds like the anti-theft module in the steering column is bad and not recognizing the key any more. HTH. -Jim

10

I've changed all the ignition on my 01 grand am and still does the same "thinking its being stolen" bull crap! How do I program the new keys that came with the new ignition? I went step by step but that hasn't worked...really love my car but have been fighting this crap for over a year. Poor thing is a pasture pet right now till someone can give me a bit more insight....please help!

20

Well mine is all fixed and brand new. My computer went out in my car. So hopefully yours is easier to figure out then mine was.

66,045

Flustered, you MUST use a key that already works first to start the car. Then you can program additional keys. HTH -Jim

30

I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand AM SE 4dr. I brought the car off someone about 3 months ago. It do not have the ordinal engine , its 2.4L and the check engine was on when I got it. However, just a few weeks ago it starting shutting off. I will start and than it will shut off. It is also reading 28 different codes. What could be the problem. I really need help?

175

No. I checked all the fuses and found that when the BFC BATT (Body Computer) fuse was removed the chiming stopped and the security light came on. Replaced with a new fuse, restarted the vehicle... security light off, chiming returned.

10

I am having a similar issue trying to help my brother in laws 1999 trans am. I have tried disconnecting the battery and I got a new key made with the matching chip number. I am not sure what to try next. It doesn't have a radio so in wondering if that affects the security system in any way? I need our help!

If u do get the theft light out but u cant stop the chiming u can always get a cheap radio installed and just not replace the chime module and just use a standard harness 70- 2003 which does not have the chime !!!!! But u will have to run ignition wire which is included with harness thanks guys new to site here !!! Remote starts alarm and some mechanical and stereos !!!!

I have an 05 an I plugged an air compressor in my cig liter an the dash starts smoking found under the hood sum1 crossed the fuse with a wire so it fried the wire from the box to the plug now the service vehicle the security an brake lite is on the stereo says loc an door locks don't work, I drove the car around the corner an it did fine but scared to go anywhere now any 1 help !???

If got more than the ignition key in the ignition, u gonna have a mess of sec probe. The weight of a bunch of keys and whatever else on ur keychain, ii's killing the module I'm ur ignition. I got one key stays in ignition all the time. Looking for 03 grandam parts.. motor. Driver fender

My car turned on and was ideling low then car shut off, I try to start it and it wouldn't turn on car it jus clicks. My lights are bright and everything, gave it a jump An still nothing. What can it be?