CAR WONT RUN

10

Asked by Sep 01, 2008 at 06:06 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE

CAR STARTS SOMETIMES BUT NOT OTHERS.EVERY TIME IT IS TOWED TO GARAGE TO FIND PROBLEM,IT FIRES UP.KINDOF HARD TO SOLVE IF IT WONT STAY BROKE.

43,875

Need more info.

10

ITS HARD TO EXPLAIN.IT DOESNT MATTER IF ITS BEEN SITTING FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS OR BEEN RUNNING FOR AN HOUR,WHEN YOU GO TO RESTART IT,IT WONT GO.FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE SHOWS 56LBS,COMPUTER SHOWS NO FAULT CODES.IT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR 4 DAYS.FIGURE AS SOON AS I TOW IT TO GARAGE IT WILL GO AGAIN.

10,295

May be the all elusive relay? ignition coil? ignition switch? I would check with GM to ensure the fuel pressure is within manufacturer specs too! Your best bet is to leave it with the mechanic until it acts up!!

10

leave the fuel pressure gauge on to see if the pressure is dropping off and how much, just maybe a weak pump.

105

I had a problem like yours with a Firebird. The starter had a hairline crack. It was not visible. When cool the car would start fine. After driving for a while and motor heated the crack of the starter expanded the car wouldn't start. You actually have to take the starter off to see the crack, even if it's visible then. Once you take it off you can take it to the auto parts store and they'll test it for you.

905

3.4 or 2.2L?

465

Iff by not starting you mean its not turning over (starter is not working) and its been sitting I would check your battery cables are they clean at the batter no grean or white stuff on em make sure there tight after that check your grounds on the engine block and body (follow wires from wiring harness) also check cables on starter make sure there are clean and tight in my 6 years of wrenching this is a common problem and most mechanics don't check em all obviously your getting fuel so your getting battery power but it may not be enough if the connections are dirty or there loose on the starter paul

Wondering if you found out what the problem was. My 03 2.2L is doing the same thing

10

passlock sensor is the problem.if your security light is on or flashing,let sit for about 10 min(light should go out)then restart.should cost around 400to fix.guess this a comon occurance with gm. [