what's it mean when your service engine soon light comes on

Asked by Oct 11, 2007 at 07:45 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT

14,665

This is typically a warning to have your engine serviced. This could be as simple as an oil change to something more difficult like replacing the timing belt. I would contact your dealer to find out what type of service is required at your vehicles current mileage.

55

If the car is running alright, it could be as simple as a loose gas cap!

35

i agree about the gas cap. i came from a 1994 ford thunderbird to a 2001 grand am. it took sometime getting used to, to all of the new lights on the dash and what they mean. my service engine light came on like twiced right after i got it. i got a dyno done on it everytime and everytime it was the gas cap. it takes a while for the light to reset it self but if it doesn't go to a parts store or a mechanice and they can reset that for you.

195

Well you can take your car to a local auto parts store for free and if you have a computer they can hook up a handheld machine that will tell you exactly what the problem is. The 2000 grand am has a change oil light so that cant be an issue.

85

Service engine soon means there is a problem with the emissions system. Usually it just means the gas cap isn't on correctly, but it could be a bigger problem. I once had to have the O2 sensors replaced.

1,055

A check engine light will never come on for oil related issues like that. A check engine light means there is something wrong with the electronic components on in regards to the emissions on your engine whether it is sensors or the wiring. It could be anything from an 02 sensor issue, coolant temperature sensor shorted to ground, etc. etc. There are several hundred codes. Only way to properly diagnose is get the correct code and go from there. As previously stated, AutoZone and many other auto parts stores will scan it for free.

105

you just need to bring it to a shop and get like the oil and gas filters changed and all that good stuff

"i got a dyno done on it everytime and everytime it was the gas cap." literally made me laugh out loud

10

My service engine soon came on..took it to a auto shop..they tell me is p-code 0420