How hard is it to replace a front drivers side wheel bearing on a 2001 Grand Am Gt? Do you need any special tools?

5

Asked by Sep 21, 2007 at 08:17 AM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Just wondering how hard it is to replace a front wheel bearing on a 2001 Grand Am Gt? Do you need a special wrench to remove the bearing?? Does any one have a diagram showing how to replace this???

13,805

Hi kcoleman, You shouldn't need any special tools to perform this job yourself. Below is website that describes how to get the job done. http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/a/bl_wh_bearing1.htm Good luck!

92,175

You will need a large socket to remove the axle nut and a 1/2" drive torque wrench to reinstall it. Replace the black nut with a new silver nut that requires less torque. Break the nut free with the wheel on the ground. You may have to mount the spare tire to get access to the nut. The three 1/2" bolts that hold the hub in place can be difficult to remove. Turn the wheel as needed. After the bolts are out, use a sturdy putty knife to move the hub off the shoulder and old screwdrivers to pry it out. Paint the area with anti-seize to make the next replacement easier.

385

The job in itself really isn't bad at all. I did both sides on my '01 grand am.. once I gathered the tools (purchased the large socket, borrowed the breaker bar, and a few other tools) I did it under an hour. A wise investment (I do this for any car I own) is to purchase a break-down manual. For around $20 you can use it to study or even perform most work yourself. The manual has saved me a lot of money instead of taking the car to a garage or dealer. Just remember, don't attempt anything you're not 100% confident about. Ask knowledgeable people first if unsure.. and read it over and over and over. Get to know your car... it'll be worth it.