Starting problems

Asked by May 30, 2010 at 01:18 PM about the 1991 Audi V8 quattro AWD

My 1991 Audi v8 Quattro  is having trouble starting after the car has been running
for a little while. I replaced the ignition coil and i also replaced the caps & rotors
but it did not solve the problem. Any suggestions?

10

Crank sensor is bad

155

coolant temp sensor

I've owned a 90, 92 and now a 93 V8Q. I've also owed several 200 series. It could be any number of things obviously. Don't just throw parts at it. I'd suspect the fuel pump and you should replace it anyway if the car has 150K on it because it Will be going out. You do need to isolate fuel from ignition issues to begin with. Yes, te Hall Sender (located in te passenger side distributor) can go out but I've heard the car should start anyway due to redundancies (don't quote me). If you're keeping the car then do replace the speed and reference (crank position) sensors. You can use the ones for the 89-91 200 series and save money (different colored leads only). Ignition coil? (sometimes they fail when hot and then resume for awhile when cold). So, if you are going to keep the car, do all these things anyway because these failures will ocurr at some point. It'scalso correct that the Bosch fuel pumps may not make noise before failure even though they can get very noisy for a long time before! I've got all the parts and then some (audifans post). I think you can still do the old thing of aving someone listen for buzzing at the fuel pump when you turn the ignition switch w/o cranking.