I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand AM within three days it stop running all of a sudden... It drove fine when I purchased it back in September, two weeks ago this problem came about. day 1 when my car came to a complete stop it would puut puut a little day two it started doing it a little bit more Day three I take it to autozone my check engine light was on (fyi, which was on when I bought it I take it to auto zone and they hook it up and three codes come up Po113, Po300 & Po440, I put Sea Foam (tank is full) in my tank at 2:00pm around 330 my way my car shuts off and won't go any further.... It's running really ruffI within a week of it being home it wouldn't start anymore..I get new spark plugs put in new boots put in new Ignition coils replaced the starter finally it's starts back up but still running ruff and now my exhaust is burning red hot!!! I have no clue plz help

25

Asked by Mar 14, 2015 at 11:30 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE Coupe

185

your cat is clogged. replace the catalytic converter

25

How much is that going to cost to replace and put on ???

25

And how did it get clogged if my car hasn't been running in two weeks? And thanx for responding I really appriciate it!

185

you're talking an older car these things happen. crappy gas will do that. How much is it going to cost? depends every shop charges a different rates, but your talking anywheres from 150 to 800 or so

25

You think the SeaFoam I put in it clogged it like that?

185

no, but you could put seafoam into a vacuum line instead and try to help clear the cat.

25

Now that you've mention my vacuum line I might have a leak in one.. How can I check it myself? if it's a leak how to repair if it is a leak ?

245

Vac leaks are not the easiest to find if it is small. I have used brake cleaner or ether to try and spot it, but smoking the system is better. PO440 is your evap system, it just may be your gas cap, or the module next to the gas tank. I would suggest changing cat, clearing codes and drive. finding the vac leak might just involve replacing a vac tube, or plastic line at worst, or rubber hose or boot end. GL

25

Thanks Jedidah that's very helpful... I was worried it can be a leak in my vacuum hose which isn't that easy to fine but I guess I try.. How do I smoke it out to find the leak?

245

Smoke machine, very costly, runs on baby oil, 12vDC, and air pressure. about an 800 dollar setup. I would suggest clearing the codes and drive. Evap codes will return if bad part, should not affect run ability. Vac codes usually show up as a lean fuel code, P0171 or P0174 and such. Those will affect run ability. Start the engine, spray the ether or cleaner, and listen for a sudden rise or fall in engine speed as you spray slowly along the vac lines and intake.

25

Ok ill try it lol ...