My 2000 pontiac grand am se 2.4 4cl when it rains and i start the car sometimes all the lights start to flicker including interior and headlights, but when i turn the manule switch for the headlights it stoped but i hear a clicking coming from a black box underneath the glove box. i have replaced the alternator recently and my tensioner pully isnt working properly, what could possibly be wrong?

Asked by Jul 05, 2013 at 07:25 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE2

the car has 181,000 miles and also has lost power recently. Ran a scanner on it and P0420 came up for the catylic converter, rear O2 sensor loose or failing. i have recently replaced the spark plugs and but like with all catylic problems i am loosing gas milage and my car smells of gas when sitting at a red light. I am not able to turn on th ac bc it makes my car strain and die when coming to a stop. car does not over heat.
I have replaced the thermostat, spark plugs, oil and filter, alternator.

First thing I'd do is fix the gas smell. You could have a fire hazard!! Inspect all fuel lines. Replace your tentioner pulley. If it's malfunctioning your serpentine belt is probably slipping and causing the flickering light issues. But over the long haul I'd say a 13 year old car with 181,000 miles is about at the end of it's life. If you can afford to, replace it with a newer, safer, more fuel efficient model. Use the money for a down payment instead of these repairs. I believe, in the long run, you'll be much better off. HTH. -Jim