did the 2000 pontiac Grand come with a car security ignition key also to lock and unlock car from outside the car ?

Asked by Apr 28, 2007 at 09:33 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE1

Does the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 1 come with a security ignition key that can also lock and unlock the doors from outside the car?

Hello Rebecca-- Yes. the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am had a computer chip built into the key. The engine would not start unless the chip in the key matched that in the engine. You could lock and unlock the door from the outside with that key. Good luck from Bovan.

Best Answer Mark helpful

I knew that there was a different key that came with the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE 1 because the car dealership that I purchased it from gave me a copied key. Like the ones that you can get made yourself for a second key in case you lose the original key. thank you Rebecca

There's no chip in the key. I had my spare cut at the Home Depot and I keep it in my wallet. Some of the GA's have a keyless entry fob for opening the doors and trunk.

to check if your car came with the keyless entry , lift up the cover for the spare tire in the trunk- it will have a black and grey or white tag with a bunch of little 3 digit codes on it- they are in alphabetical order- look for the code AUO- that is the code for keyless entry- if it is not there, then the car does NOT have keyless entry- some packages did NOT come with it from the factory

^ Richard, I checked my trunk and i do not have the AU0 code. I know i do not have keyless entry from the dealer. Can it be added though? If i buy a factory keyless entry module for a 2000 grand am from the junkyard, can i wire it into mine and add the keyless entry feature? Thanks in advance, Matt