2000 Grand Am Se

Asked by Jun 27, 2016 at 01:25 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I have a 2000 grand am se , uncle gave it to
me 2 days ago i put battery in it car firez up
need lil tune up so take it home take battety
out later that night put it back in then tryed
to start it ... Starts then dies ? Fuel pump is
on when you turn key to on postion . then it
will start , second later it die and if you dont
turn key off but keep it on and try to start
again act like theres no gas .. Cut it off and
do it then it will fire up again ! Same key i
used to drive it here im still using , i think its
with the passlock security thing ( so i might
bypass with resistor , but other people thinks
it some thing else ... Please help

275

This sounds like a typical Passlock II security problem, try the following whether the security light is on or not. This is the complete relearn procedure, it should reset in 10 mins. but could take a little more than 30 minutes but easy to do. Your ignition has 4 positions 1.Off 2.ACC 3.On 4.Start (Cranks over & springs back to 3.On) Step 1 – Attempt to start the vehicle, this is the "start" position. It will crank, and start for 1-2 seconds then stall. The security light will be on or flashing. Leave the key in the ‘on’ position for 10-11 minutes, then the security light will stay solid or go off. Step 2 – Turn the key to the ‘off’ position for no less 10 seconds. Attempt to start the vehicle. If it runs at this point then you have reset your passlock. If the problem persists you can continue repeat Step 1 two more times. Make sure turn the key to the ‘off’ position for 10 seconds before each 10 minute cycle. Hopefully your car is running by now Step 3 – The vehicle is now ready to relearn the proper code. Turn the key ‘off’ for 15 seconds and then ‘crank’ the vehicle. it should start back up now. The security light might stay on solid for several minutes afterwards.

4,705

This may be related to the antitheft system The system is known for turning off the starter and/or injectors when it fails. Normally when the injectors are turned off, the car will run for a second or two, and then stall. Is there a light on the dash that says SECURITY or a picture of a car with a lock through it? This is a common problem worth looking into. http://www.diy-gm- security.com/ & http://newrockies.com/