I have a 2000 pontiac grand dam 3.4 v6. It won't start up. Takes 4 trys and I have to rev it to keep it started. Once running it idel from 1000 to 500 to 300 and it continues to do this. Once it start

10

Asked by Apr 07, 2015 at 10:59 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Up it runs like that. I put it in drive and it
straightend up. If I drive it at a steady speed
like 25 it starts to shake until I let off the
gas. I replaced the spark plugs,spark
wires,tps and egr valve. I've been told that it
could be a vacuum leak or is the fuel
regulator. Any help would be great. Thank
you.

64,355

Sound,s like a vacume leak,check the intake gasket and hose,s around the throttle body and engine.

Best Answer
8,100

Engine hanging in the car funny. try going back and forth and watch to see if the engine lifts and drops. The idea with the regulator is the system drains the rest pressure. It should open when theres vacuum. not be sticking open. so run the fuel system tests. If it does not like a sensor reading, it may take longer but you expect a check engine light. visually inspect the parts for obstruction, misaligned or excessive gap-osis. Connector pins for causes of resistance. Run those diagnostic tests. If you read any trouble code, you could google it. You may also search by symptom.

8,100

Some of these can have hard starting cold when they have a loose fitting pcv grommet, or hoses that are hard from being in the heat of the engine bay. Others with MAF or MAT can have a reading out of spec for that sensor, or the plenum tube where it is can need cleaned. Seeking the best tech is cheaper than the lowest prices.

10

It has a check engine light on. I changed the tps and it went off for a couple days and came back on.

8,100

What code is currently stored in the memory ?

8,100

1000 500 300 continues to do this, does that mean the idle rolls and repeats that ? Extract the code with a code reader, write it down. Then remove battery cables and clean them. Then clean the throttle body at the throttle plate. Reconnect the battery and attempt to start and idle. Operate all it's functions, road test city and hiway. What result ? What code did you write down.?

my 2000 grand am se, just stopped starting. All it does not is click when i turn the ignition. The clicking is coming from under the fuse box in the engine compartment, and the starter is clicking as well. When a code reader is hooked up to it, it will not communicate with the reader.