I have a 2000 pontiac grand am se 4 cyl. I'm having a misfire problem with cyl 4. We've changed the plugs and I've been told my car doesn't have wires. We unclogged the cadilidic converter. help??

Asked by Jan 15, 2015 at 07:41 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE

There's a known problem with ignition coil housing failure that can cause misfires. The housing can develop small cracks leading to this condition. You don't have plug wires but instead have individual coils held in a coil pack for each cylinder. You might have a bad coil for #4. BTW what engine do you have - 2.2, 2.4?

I believe it's a 2.4. My husband replaced the coil pack itself already. Is there something else that could cause this problem? I also believe he's replaced the coils as well.

Did he replace the coil housing?

your fuel injectors may be clogged. there is a service bulletin concerning this for pontiacs. you could also have a egr valve thats leaking. and you may also need another ignition control module.

at worst cylinder 4 may need to be rebuilt on the heads.

I know that I have to replace my ignition control module. Why is the problem with ignition coil housing failure that can cause misfires not being addressed as a recall. Because Pontiac is no longer in business; I notice that a lot of issues are not being addressed. Does anybody know who to contact to address these issues. I'm assuming that the "Certified" Mechanics are not informing the proper channels?