pontiac grand am 2.4 twin cam engine dies each time you put into gear,

Asked by Apr 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE

pontiac grand am 2.4 twin cam engine dies each time you put into gear, Put new plugs in
new coil pack fuel pressure is 57 and all injectors have been taken out and cleaned. it has
an auto tranny.

4,575

If the car runs ok at idle, and runs ok when you step on the brake, we can rule out a major vacuum leak. When you then put it any gear, if you feel the car move and then stall, I would check the lock-up solenoid on the tranny. If that's stuck, the torque converter will put enough strain on the motor to stall it at idle speeds. (You can do a "backyard mechanic" check on this by jacking the drive wheels off the ground, start the engine, put it in gear. If the wheels turn, and stepping on the brake stalls the engine, your torque converter is in "lock-up".) If you feel no movement at all, check for:1. Security system; 2. Idle Air Control.