Temperature gauge not working?

Asked by Nov 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grandam. I purchased the vehicle about a month and a half ago and after about a week I was driving and the temperature gauge went all the way up all of a sudden. I was about 50 yards from home so I parked in my space and took my other car to get coolant. There was absolutely none in the car. Now it sounds like one of the fans is going out and the gauge will go all the way up a few minutes after starting to drive. I've pulled over and popped the hood and felt the engine and it wasn't even warm yet, much less overheating. The gauge seems to go back down when I run the heat. If I turn the heat off the temp will almost instantly climb. What's going on?

Sounds to me like head gasket or the therostat is sticking

Plugged radiator...is the coolant okay...or is it full of gelatinous blobs and stinky?

use a thermo-spot gun to check for the hot spots...less than twenty dollars~

The system may have air in it. Try bleeding it and see if that fixes it. I'm guessing you have the 3.1 liter V6? Unfortunately these engines are prone to blow head gaskets. Check your oil. If you see white "goop" on the end of the dipstick the head gasket has most likely failed. HTH. -Jim