Car having major issues starting than dying seconds later

Asked by Aug 28, 2016 at 10:53 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

The car was running I went camping for a week got
back and the car wouldn't start tested battery it
was shot still same issue starts for a sec or two
then dies and the battery keeps getting drained
already tested alternator

27,965

Try a bench test on the starter and again on the alternator, something is draining the battery. Does it feel like an electrical issue killing the engine after you manage to get it started? Check for trouble codes too!

Already tested starter as well

Tested all fuses that I can with multimeter

No codes and it killed a band new battery a week after I bought it I went and has it tested it was bad got another new one in there and it's down to 3 volts

27,965

Does the car take a jump and run at all, even if for just a few seconds?

Yes I can get it to 3000 rpms than it just dies

27,965

Do you see any problems with the coils or coil housing? Any sign of shorting or arcing?

Best Answer Mark helpful

I'll check that

27,965

Keep in mind you may have more than one problem, a problem in the charging system or a sever parasitic drain on the battery, and another problem with the engine cutting out. Testing as you did the charging system and starter would eliminate basic problems, but I'd recheck voltage regulator. The OBD system is designed for emissions related problems, so you won't see a lot of electrical or charging system problems appear as a DTC. I suggested a problem with the coils/coil housing as it could cause both the symptoms you describe, battery drain and engine cutoff. Good luck!

So I checked out the coil packs they look fine i think I'm having multiple problems so something is draining battery and I think there might be a vacuum leak of some kind so the line coming off the pcv valve goes to a regulator in the middle of the line there is a piece that goes into the block it's been held down by cardboard for 1 month prior to it dying it has a rubber grommet of some kind that holds it in but that part is not there I think it might have been sucked into engine

Of u look up my car and look up pcv valve house assembly it pulls up image and my mistake goes to crank case not block

And I don't know why that got put as best answer earlier never pushed the button