overhaul on head

10

Asked by Jul 04, 2015 at 07:51 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

I am wanting to know how long it should take to change the head on my 2000 Potiac
Grand Am 3.4 V6.

68,895

The time,would vary depending on if it is done by a DIY or a PRO,a pro should only take about 8 hours,a do it your selfer depends on how much they know and if they have ever did it before.

10

Thank you. We were not sure how much time we would be looking at. It's going to be a DIY, and my husband does know what he's doing. This is my question, not his---should he have someone helping him, or is it a one man job? He doesn't like to ask for help, but if he needs an extra set of hands, I will find someone.

68,895

This is a crucial job if he has never did it,it helps to have someone with a little mecahnic skill to help him,he would be more upset,when he finished it and had to do it again because he didnt do something right.

10

He's done it before, it's just been a few years. He worked in a garage for a while. We have a mechanic friend that we can always ask questions. I know how serious doing it right is. I've seen people have to redo it, and it's not a good thing!

68,895

He may can handle it,if he has done it before,but it does help to have a little help to do it.

70,875

If you're reusing the original head it should be sent to a machine shop for a valve job, pressure test, and checked for warpage. I'd also recommend doing both heads, if possible. It's not critical to do both but my line of thinking is that you won't have to worry about this again. These motors are notorious for blowing head gaskets. So if one side is blown, the other side is soon to follow. HTH. -Jim