My car has water in it from the summer in place of the anti freeze the weather is getting colder and I am wanting to know is there a easy way for me to drain it to add anti freeze wo tools

Shawntay Walker

Asked by Nov 17, 2014 at 08:59 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

It still starts for me so far
can I just add pure

Ok first of all you should NEVER run a vehicle just with water as coolant. It should always be at least 50/50 mix. There is a petcock on the bottom of the radiator. Drain all of the water out of the radiator and overflow bucket. Close the petcock fill up the radiator full and the overflow about halfway full with anti freeze. Let the car run with the radiator cap off until you see the fluid go down in the radiator keep adding anti freeze until it burps. It will take a while to warm up and open the thermostat so it burps. Then put the cap back on the radiator. let it run for another 15 minutes or so. Then shut it off and let the car cool completely down. Open the cap back up fill as needed with a 50/50 blend of anti-freeze and water. Fill the overflow bucket the same way. You should be good to go.