I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT that has sat for 2 years, what will I need to do to get the car road worthy?

Asked by Nov 18, 2013 at 04:27 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Check the tires, ball joints, tie rod ends and parts like that should be in the same condition it was left in, the gas tank may have to be cleaned as well as the rest of the fuel system. Oil change, may need a coolant flush, maintenance stuff and the fuel system should cover it, unless fuel stabilizer was added before it was stored, may need a battery unless it was unplugged.

I was thinking I would need to flush the transmission, along with doing a full tune up and oil change on the car. Plus changing the brakes and replacing battery. Does that about cover it?

Transmission fluid should be sealed so it should be fine, the tuneup shouldn't be needed either unless it was needed when it was parked and same goes for the brakes, battery may need replaced if it was left hooked up, have it tested first though.

My Grand Am 2002 GT 3.4 L sat for 4 years! We did crank the engine over about once a month and had to replace the battery, but all I had to do was take it to Jiffy Lube and change out all the fluids (brake, radiator flush, oil, etc. lube) get it smogged, wheel rotation/balance and alignment and there are NO issues with car. Runs smoother than ever and no lights (except airbag which I have not replaced yet). BUT the remote system is not working and I can only trace that to changing the battery, which my husband did and I understand there is a 6 volt connection that runs some of the equipment so I need to check that. Also may need the computer module purched since it was in a collision and is why it sat so long waiting for repairs (Mercury totalled it and I got all the work done for less than $3000, so not a junker! There was no engine compartment damage at all, just front bumper assembly, extensions and lights).The remote is working, but not communicating with the security system. I had a locksmith check this out and they said the fault is in the security system and referred me to a Stereo installer who said it had to do with resetting the computer module and the dealership would charge like $700 to rest it. He would do ti and install a new remote system overriding the existing one, but using the same security system for about $150. I would prefer to keep the original equipment, but any suggestions?