Replacing the left front hub bearing with bearing. Is this a job that a back yard mechanic can do and what would be the best way to tackel the job?

Asked by Apr 15, 2007 at 11:56 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

My 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT had the ABS light come on and the Traction control stopped working. Had it checked out,the left front speed sensor quit working.

It is not hard to do, if you know what you are doing. You will have to remove the wheel, lower ball joint, etc. Pulling the hub assembly off of the teeth of the axle is the toughest. I recommend buying a haynes maintenance manual. With this you will have step by step instructions

Best Answer Mark helpful

This is a old question but I'll answer for people searching the site for answers. I've changed about a half dozen in three different cars in my driveway. Changing a hub is a little harder than changing pads and rotors. It's one big axel nut and three half inch bolts further in. You don't have to remove the strut, axle or ball joints. The hub slips off the end of the axle. You will need a 1/2 drive torque wrench to put the axle nut back on. Go over to for DIY instructions with pictures.