What is the reason a 2000 Pontiac Grand AM SE1 V6 3.4 would start to misfire after driving fine the day before... missfire at #5

Asked by Jan 26, 2013 at 05:06 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 Coupe

92,495

It could be that the coil on the fuel injector failed. Remove the electrical connection and read the ohms across the coil. It should be around 12-15 ohms. Go to GAOwnersClub.com for more details.

This can be caused by many different things and it would be to answer and try this, then this, then this. Having diagnostic tools is the key. One thing you may check and it sounds stupid but I have found this before, where a plug wire holding bracket apparently after years of heat just finally cracked, causing on of the plug wire to land on the exhaust manifold and it would bounce up and down causing the engine to act all sorts of weird and every time we would look at for the guy, every things was fine, until one NIGHT he came by, and I remember not being to happy about it as it was dark and raining. I went outside opened the hold and was looking down at the engine without a flashlight and I see a flickering light, so I reach down and got hold of a plug wire which promptly caused me to jerk up and crack my head on the hood lock causing half a dozen stitches in my dome. But problem solved. The bug wire was dancing around on the manifold. So, with this 3.4, I'd start by checking all the plug wires, when was the last time you changed them? This is not a highly complicated engine, so it should be solvable. Regarding TenSpeed's idea besides the usual referral to GAOwnersClub.com which has to be a pay by referral thing as I see that on almost everyone of your answers dude, CSM611, take a screw driver, preferably a long one and skinny if you have it or go to Harbor Freight and buy a Mechanic's Stethoscope then if your using the screw driver, place the tip of the screw driver on the side of the fuel injector and place the handle up to your ear, you should hear a clicking noise, if so that means its working, if not well then it's not working. That's the easy way to check injectors.

Best Answer

Just for my own curiosity, where is the coil for the fuel injector? Just tell me the number from this diagram, thank you tenspeed! Click to enlarge

Tenspeed, I am not trying to be a jerk even though I possibly sound like I am, put it's much easier to check a fuel injector than breaking out an OHM meter which 99% of the people don't know how to use.

It could just being in the dash cluster and stepper motor has gone out, real common on gm. Try this, power goes to the gas gauge sending unit when you turn the key on, then the power comes back to the gauge on the dash. Check to see where power is lost and fix that wiring. And if it's a GM product, often the body control modules go bad, a small crappy computer unit that also works with the gauge or you can check the ground a wire from the sending unit to a clean part on the frame. It takes no time to do it and doesn't cost you anything

I had the same problem. Turned out to be fuel regulator valve. With engine running remove vacuum hose and if fuel sqirts out its bad. I replaced plugs, wires, and tested coils, plus replaced fuel filter which did nothing, car now runs like new. Reg valve costs around 45.00

No such thing as coil for fuel injector. Tenspeed doesn't know what he's talking about!!!