how do you remove the seroinetine belt 2000 grand am

Asked by Feb 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE Coupe

my car needs a new wter pump to get to it i need to remove the serpinetine belt and cant figure out how

easy. there is a tensioner pulley. loosen it's bolt(s) push it back and tighten out-of-the way postion...slip the new one on, check the alignment as you ease the tensioner pulley back into postion.

smallest one is tensioner

89,835

V6 since the water pump is belt driven. If you are planning on changing the belt, support the engine with a 2x4 across the oil pan, remove the passenger side motor mount bolts and slip the belt through.

Don't loosen any bolts, go to harbor freight or any tool store and buy a pulley tensioner release tool, It goes over the nut and you just pull the tensioner out of the way as it's spring loaded and resets the tension when you release it.

You take that bolt out of that tensioner pulley and you are going to have some fun on your hands getting it put back together !!

Spring loaded? Asking, not saying

Yes spring loaded, go look for a tensioner pulley tool and you will see what I am talking about.

On my Town Car I had all you needed was a 1/2" drive breaker bar, there was a square hole right on the tensioner just for it

This is the spring loaded tensioner you put the tool on the left side pulley on the nut

And this is the tool with multiple adapters for different size nuts which would make it fit everyone on this post...LOL

What is striking me really damn odd right now is, GAowners.com hum, here this makes all this even simpler than a two by four?????? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3cnhfowLGA

like this?

or

Yep, just need larger pics, but that's it in a hand basket bro, And your toy will be the same as all cars now, at least I don't know of any that aren't made with the self tensioner, hell remember getting out the big a** pry bar and wedging it up on the generator and prying like crazy to get the belt tight, I think I still have scars on my knuckles from slipping and knuckle buster. This I can take a belt off in under a minute, going back on of course takes longer as I can't ever remember all the belt routes and some times they are just a bitc@ to get back on, as even with that long handle tool, that last pulley you have to slide over is tight and your trying to keep everything lined up, and hold the tension off so it's tuffer going on. But like Teenspeed was insinuating it is always much easier to change a belt if you pull the engine first. Doohh, and this is the first car in his garage, hum.................>> maybe never changed a belt?? In the 21st Century?? Ya scr@w you to, at least other people learn something from other peoples stupidity!! SH*T really pis@S me off, telling people something that will just destroy them???????? Ya, remove the gas tank, and right rear tire, pull the motor, throw a hammer through your windshield, then by that tool above and easily remove the belt,,,, oka doka???

89,835

To remove the belt from the tensioner, you use the tool to relieve the tension. Bob was the person that mentioned bolt loosening. I was referring to replacing the belt with a new belt. You have to support the engine and slip the belt through the upper motor mount when replacing the belt. If you're replacing the water pump, a new belt should be used. Of course you balled everything together, added a few insults and questioned my abilities. The last time I changed the belt, I made that tool using some 1/2 keystock and 3/16 aluminum flat stock.

thousand apologies, most greasemonkeys have a half drive handy. did not know if this configuration did or did not have bolts or screws, at any rate our boy probably figured it out post haste - sorry 'bout the oversimplification...like just tryin to be helpful~ also think I'm right that just a spring and no other anchor is wrong. there's definately some kinda lockin' bolt!