my 2000 pontiac grand am se has the track off light come on with me pushing the ets button, and then the engine service light soon followed that..

Asked by May 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE Coupe

So the mechanic said it was 2 faulty o2 censors...then got that fixed. But he said the light didn't go away so I
would need to leave the car for a day to see the cost of figuring out if its a faulty wire....

The car drives fine....
Should I just get a major tune up to see if that fixes the problem?
Or something else?

reset the ECU and if it turns back on after a few minutes there is a mechanical problem with it not an electrical one

If the trac light comes on and stays on with the possibility of the ABS light also coming on, you have a faulty wheel bearing. It's a very common grand am issue with cars after 1999. If the problem you're describing is different, please elaborate. Could you tell me your mileage, also?

It just the traction control. You can live without it. It cuts the fuel to the engine if the wheels spin. Somewhat useful in the snow.

If this button is pushed it effects by signals, why I do not know, but my mechanic said not to push it.