Fuel line

Asked by Sep 10, 2016 at 10:56 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

I have a 1999 grand am 6 cyl why isn't
fuel getting through line?

Possible solutions- bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, blown fuse for fuel pump, clogged fuel injectors. Start by checking fuse in engine compartment. If good, remove gas cap and have a friend turn on the key, if the pump starts, you'll hear humming for a couple seconds. If the pump hums and still no fuel, the culprit is likely the filter. It's located behind the gas tank and you'll need a line tool to remove it after breaking the seal with a pair of wrenches. Be very careful...GAS

Could it be the catalytic converter as well?

My neighbor just wiggled my fuel pump relay (fpr), the gas hand moved and my car started. I immediately went to autozone and bought a new fpr no problems thus far. In the morning when its cold out will tell all, if it starts, problem solved.

Catalytic converter has no relation to getting gas through a fuel line. Tackle problem one step at a time. If fuel never leaves the tank, that's where the problem is. If it gets to the filter, but doesn't get through it, then the filter is the problem. Just locate the problem and fix it. I live by simple rules " If it isn't broke don't fix it " Good luck!

Congradulations, by the way. Some cars have the relay inside the tank as part of the pump assembly.

Just went to start car it didn't start. O well I'll wiggle the new relay in the morning and see what happens.

May have to change fuel pump as I hear sometimes they're defective or first check fuel filter as you mentioned.

As you mentioned a friend wiggled the wires and it solved the problem. That's a loose connection to the relay. Unwrap the wires and see whats loose and tighten it up. Use crimp connectors if possible, if not strip back more of the insulation and twist together more of the metal wire and tape good and tight. The best insulation you can get is shrink tubing (ideal, but difficult to apply at the gas tank) Please let me know if your loose connection is within the tank, I can instruct you how to get access without tank removal.

Hi lost4now It was the fuel pump fuse that was wiggled and guess what the fuse wasn't pushed all the way in, I did so and it started. Again, I'll try in the a.m., when the car is cold to see if that resolved the problem. Thx!

I'm glad I could help you out with your car problems, without you investing a fortune in unnecessary parts. Should you have the need again in the future, I will keep an eye out for your request. Happy motoring.