1999 Pontiac Grand am Left front wheel bearing keeps going bad. Why would this keep happen?

10

Asked by Dec 30, 2014 at 07:18 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand am Left front wheel bearing keeps going bad. Why would that
be happen is it a know problem? I am buying the better bearing too." I replace 2010 , 2011
and 2012 and it's bad again. There is only about 3000 miles on this bearing.

825

I don't know much about your car. You could have multiple problems in my opinion. I can only give some ideas....Is your brake caliper sticking and heating up the rotor? Major alignment issue? Did you pack the bearing with high temperature grease? Did you over tighten the bearing creating to much drag? If it has a Race that the bearing rides against is it worn out? May be some one else with more experience can give you some better ideas good luck.

77,945

I agree that it could need a front end alignment. Does that tire wear unevenly? If so that's most likely the problem. Has the car been involved in an accident in the past? Either case may be making the left front wheel run "cocked" or slightly sideways. This would put undue stress on the hub bearing assembly. HTH. -Jim

10

The tires wear evenly. There is no wear on the tires they still look like new. The car was never in accident. The Brakes and calipers are good no problem there.

77,945

Check the lower engine and transmission mounts. Sometimes they wear and cause the engine/transmission assembly to sag. This will also put undue stress on the hub assembly as well as the drive axle. HTH. -Jim

10

Okay Thank you I will check that!

77,945

You're welcome. Glad to help. - Jim

It is very important to use a Torque wrench when tightening the axle nut and to torque to manufactures specifications. Improper torque will prematurely wear out the wheel bearing.