I was jump starting a friends car,kaboom

Asked by Jan 23, 2014 at 02:39 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

He had the + and - reversed and marked that way with a marker I connected the cables
and just for a second the last cable sparked,I didn't have my radio on but it is the only
item that won't go on.I opened the fuse panel drivers side inside found the 2 amp fuse,for
the radio ,replaced it still no radio or clock pontiac grand am 1999,no mention in manual
about a 2nd fuse,what gives? does anyone have input

20,865

Either blew the fuse or shorted out the radio.

80

Is it an aftermarket stereo? If the fuse block fuse if good, pull the stereo and see if there is a fuse on the back of it. Some aftermarket ones have a "safety" fuse to protect the stereo in case something causes a surge in the electrical system. And for future reference, the positive and negative are marked on batteries. Usually with a large "+" and "-" on the top next to the terminals or on the side if it's a side post. And jumper cables, the black is always negative. In the rare case you have an older set, the solid black is negative, the black with the red, white, or yellow line is positive. And you shouldn't jump battery to battery. The negative or ground cable should be connected to a good ground point on the "dead" car - body bolt, engine block, etc. Only the positive should go to the battery. This protects BOTH cars.

Thanks Ponti grand am 1999 no power to clock or radio.the guys battery was marked wrong by the owner,that's how it happened,I just touched the jumper for a second,my radio is the version with tape player,and stereo,and am wondering if there is an in line fuse,at the power,hot leg going to my radio it's the stock radio put into sunbirds,grand prix and grand am's