Why does my gas pedal stop working at random times?

185

Asked by Jun 16, 2013 at 03:56 AM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

So today I was on my way back from work and when I was about 15 minutes into my drive, my gas pedal stopped working, I was flooring it and I was just going 50 and there was no power sound that you would usually hear. I recently changed the break booster because it was letting in air and my breaks weren't working, and also I been having some other issues with it. for example today also on my way to work when I got to the stop light, my car turned off. im thinking that it is a problem with either the Alternator or the something to do with the fuel system, any advise? im going crazy not knowing what to do and I don't have enough time to go to put it through the computer. thank you

an accelerator position sensor when worn out can produce these symptoms~ (TPS) is what it's called~

485

Tps is a throttle position sensor. On the opposite side of where the throttle cables hook up on the throttle body. The tps is in the shape of a "P"

485

Round plug 3 wire

that middle goodie~

485

Yes sir

you know in theory it's an entirely optical device and NOTHING can fail....airborne and pressure differentials get to it and incurs a "wear-out" state...somehow~?

485

But its not, take one apart, its like a rheostat

oooo. my bad.