burnt wires

Asked by Sep 25, 2008 at 09:46 AM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

My grand am suddenly wouldn't start. Plugged in an engine code tester and the car started, unplugged it and it died. After connecting it again it started and then smoke was coming out the defrost vent. Noticed the wires from the engine code connector burnt up and melted the insulation. I cut out the wires so they're not shorted and still won't start and everything goes haywire. HELP!

8,895

Damn electrical questions... I say take it somewhere... But anyway here is what I'm thinking The OBD harness melted? OBD is very low amperage, you either have a crossed wire somewhere that puts out more amperage, you have a short, or you cut something other than the OBD harness and it might be important to the car running can't tell because I'm more than a little confused about exactly what you're trying to say... Also you need to be more specific... I mean WTF is your definition of haywire? What happens when you turn the key... Does it click, does it turn over, what does it do? Does your dash light up? Whats the voltage across the battery? Are you sure the starter and solenoid are in working order?

Without the key in the ignition the ABS relay keeps clicking, check eng. light flashes. A couple of times the trunk opened when I tried to start it. It won't turn over. I think the PCM is bad but I'm not sure. The short may have been started by wiring to a remote start module, the elec.tape had moved and exposed the bare wire. I was fixing that when I discovered the burnt wires. I only cut the wires feeding the OBD harness, but I think the damage is already done to the PCM. The car has been nothing but trouble, I should have let it burn!

8,895

Hmm... with no key in the ignition lights are on... When you tried to start the trunk occasionally pops... Being unfamiliar with your ca's wiringr and particularly bad with electrical stuff my guess is that you have a short in the ignition circuit and it's crossing with other wires... Get an ohm meter out and check your harnesses, I'm sure you'll find at least one is f'd up... Hopefully someone familiar with the electrical systems in your car will post back...

5

well, I would start by estimating the value of the car. Is it worth a new BCM, and ECU? I would start by a complete dash removal and wiring check. Bottom line, electrical problems can total a car out pretty quickly.

1,415

Full coverage and put 110v to it and call geico! Remote starts self installed can become a real headache, yard the dash replace the wiring a fairly painless process on that model,about 5 to 6 hrs start to finish. Local salvage yard most liklely has one. you defeanetly have some unwanted grounds and leads completing circuits. Good luck if you have tech questions message me.