Car is disabled

10

Asked by Dec 31, 2014 at 07:01 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr SE1 Coupe

Just replaced my blower motor for my Pontiac Grand am today and after install my car
is disabled.

Security light comes on, all of my lights dont work, headlights, headlamp, car starts
then dies. Checked the plug for the PassLock but it is still plugged in, made sure by
pulling it out then plugging it back in but still the car is disabled.

I have run out of ideas on how to get it working and this is our only vehicle to get back
and forth to work.

8,310

You have an ignition switch problem? a passlock code of 1632 ? or what ? Or both, or similar ?

8,310

what happens when you sit with the key on for at least4 or as many as 10 minutes? Does the security light go out ? try starting it then. Or get a new ignition switch found and a way to go pick it up, and the tools to replace it.

10

I did the 10 minute thing, would the security lock cause my lights not to come on?

8,310

does that mean it starts and runs? I do not know about the headlight wiring for yours, but the ignition switch could have something to do with circuits being switched on or off. and a malfunction at that part is reminding me of some GM recalls about some of their cars dying. and having unexplained circuit troubles......Your wiring schematic for headlights may be accessible online thru autozone website ? They are in their database for GM pickups I know for sure. but your relays and bulbs can be verified good before you get too deep in the search.

8,310

The ones I tried to help on had passlock issues with recognizing the key. The problem was now and then, and became more often they sat and waited with their key on to start. I eventually had a live one and went to the parts store, then used their code reader to get the security code for the light. The code, when googled led to installing a resistor as a bypass instead of replacing a few expensive parts that were being discussed. Reading about it was telling me people were buying the parts and doing their own work. we did not have the concern bothering the lights that we knew of because it was an elderly person's daily driver. and this is the first mention of light circuits...........we did however learn that a waterleak was letting the car get damp and stay damp inside. His spare tire well was full and spilling into the forward areas. His pass lock module may also have been in that water vapor environment when the car sat in the sun. He sold it.

10

Our car does not have a chip in the key and I have an OBD II reader but the only codes that came up were for my O2 sensor due to it being damaged. It might be the ignition switch as it started acting up yesterday not wanting to turn off, I would have to wiggle it to get the car to shut off and pull the key out.

8,310

OBDII codes are a different function than enhanced codes for vehicle security. The code may be in there. when the concern repeats you will want to verify it. not every code reader I have used had that function, and we had to be looking for it to find it with the part stores unit. You did not say yet if the car starts and runs, so I have to surmise this means you are replacing an ignition switch and waiting for the security light to recur. and seeking schematics for the car's headlight system. As far as I know, from discussion in passing, your switch is known for being problematic across the vehicle line and recalls have been in effect for a while. I think the updated part is the one in the recall? but you can ask your dealer as you see fit for your own understanding.

10

The car does not run, it starts then stops with the Security Light turning on.

8,310

Then the ten minute wait did not result in a start and the ignition switch is for now, the plan. i c