No power steering on 99 Grand Am and small amount of white smoke?

Asked by May 06, 2015 at 04:03 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr SE Coupe

I have a 99 4cyl Grand Am. Yesterday on my way home from work I lost power
steering. I checked the fluid and the reservoir was empty. I thought It was probably
just a leak in the system so I topped it with Lucas stop leak, and was able to get
steering back, but I didnt drive it anywhere. This morning I checked the levels and
they were still good so I turned on the car but no steering. also I noticed a small
amount of white smoke coming up from behind my engine. Can anyone help me? This
doesnt make sense to me.

An update. after putting the vehicle into gear I gained (some) of the power steering again. I am quite sure that the smoke was from the fluid leaking onto the exhaust system, but there is an awe full grinding noise when I turn the wheels and there is foam in the reservoir (confirming a leak in the system, but I already knew that). I think the leak is coming form either the high pressure hose or the rack and pinions. any thoughts? and how can I narrow it down? Im having a very difficult time seeing where exactly the leak is coming from.

7,475

The return line that is under the engine is probably rotted out but while your in there you may as well change both lines

thanks for the response. what makes you think it is the return line, out of curiosity?

7,475

I've replaced a few of them and there is a mounting tab attached to it and it usually leaks at or around that mounting point.

thank you, Im checking it out now