my car still overheats even after we have done just about everything there is to stop it what else could it be

Asked by May 22, 2013 at 01:12 PM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr GT Coupe

the waterpump could be faulty, and would look exactly the same~

i just changed the pump thats not it iv changed just about everything that mighht make it run hot even put bluedevil in it... STUCK AN LOST

...had a '73 Toyota Celica (my third one) what had a rusted block...overheated on the way from SF to LA ended up taking a whole lot of cool-off stops...yes the block was full of rust and coolant was "choked off with rust because a former owner used water instead of coolant at some point in the car's might just see if it is possible that your block and coolant jacket passages are rusted...not sure of a solution what wouldn't take harsh chemicals to cut thru the rust...this being the case~

a flush with perchloric acid? your pool store may sell some chemicals what could flush thru the engine...disposing is problematic....have to capture them in milk jugs and take them for proper disposal~

never met the blue love red buddha (if you're into music)~

Don Mann Jr.

If you have replaced the thermostat and waterpump. most likely the headgaskets!

the radiator should be changed....they are relatively cheap~

Don Mann Jr.

Go ahead, change the radiator.. I had 220,000 miles on mine and out boiled out without over heating. Next thing I knew it over heated. I'm a mechanic and I changed my headgaskets flushedthe cooling system and BAM problem solved!

Don Mann Jr.

PS, if the radiator isn't leaking just flush it. Much cheaper.. Get a bottle of super flush prestone follow the directions and it will be fine!

that's why I was saying with a handheld temperature sensing gun, could pinpoint where is the failure....also the hose "sucking" itself to collapse is another tip-off~

Don Mann Jr.

Another way to check for bad headgaskets is to remove overflow tank cap and start it up. if it starts to boil out within a couple minutes its your headgaskets!

Richard Wharton

A couple other things to consider is whether or not the cooling system has air trapped in it. It may need to be 'burped". The other thing is check to be sure the radiator cooling fan is coming on. When it came from the factory it came on two times. 1. When the coolant got too hot. 2. When the air conditioning was turned on. Check to see if it comes on ONLY when the air conditioning is on. If so something is wrong probably either with the sending unit or the fan relay. There are two relays and one is for the AC.

If the water pump is working correctly, the top and bottom hoses should both be warm when the engine is up to temp. If the radiator needs to be boiled because it is plugged, a radiator shop can test it for you for free. But the usual cause is also the most common and cheapest - the thermostat. Follow your upper radiator hose from the radiator to the engine and it should be right there. Any auto parts store should have it. This is not a dealer only item. Good luck!

Yosvany Perez

Also pontiac has a bled out system to blead any posible air in the system, Now i have changed fans, thersmostat, temp censor, system cooling flush, and it stills over heat and ob top the fans dont start to cool down the engine, but if i un plug the temp censor the fans start working on hi, i plug them back in and starts eorking on low, i shut off the car and start it back on fans eont start back, end of storry and after $700 dollars spent in parts i desided to change the car computer $500 no more problems Seems that after the car overheated the first time the computer fried :/

Dennis Deleveaux

Hi. I am having the same problem with my 02 Grand Am with a 2.2L Ecotec engine. I had a head job done, new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator. My fans come on, but my car still overheats. There isn't any water in the oil. When the car runs hot, the coolant blow back out through the coolant reservoir overflow hose. What can be the issue? I even took the thermostat out and still have the same issue so I put it back in. Can someone please help me out. Thanks.

hey Dennis I just wanted to know if you found a solution for your problem I'm having the same problem with my 99 Pontiac grand amGT

I put water pump, thermostat. Come to find out it was the reservoir cap the gasket was eaten up, fixed my problem on 02 grand am

They finally ran a self bleedr for the water neck . I found if u put a fitting in the air bleeder on the outlet tree for pump , put a tee in line from radiator to resavour ,it will eliminate the problem !!! It will self bleed the air stopping formation of steam and overheating .

I have changed my thermostat, radiator and the water pump, but its still overheating and i know its not the headgasket what else could the problem be?

I have a 2000 Pontiac grand am and I'm having the same issue it only runs hot at idle or slow bumper to bumper traffic. I just changed the thermostat and coolant temp sensor:o) so I'm thinking reservoir it looks old and has a small crack I think not sure but will try because it and the hose we're the problem with my Malibu.