97 grand am - starts then stalls out?

10

Asked by Jan 14, 2015 at 01:09 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

We replaced the battery & key switch .

Wr drove the vehicle here,  any
ideas???

7,885

do u know when the last air filter change was

8,420

Did GM have a recall to perform ? Or did you diagnose and repair it yourself with a switch from the part store ? Is there a security system issue setting an enhanced trouble code? Can you test and verify the fuel pump is still running when it dies out? or do you lose spark cancelling the fuel pump ? Do you have an interval by which you regularly change the fuel filter already ?

Best Answer
10

No i don't ??

10

I can hear the fuel pump running When it stalls out

10

My friend got a used key switch for it The actual mechanical side . Regular key switch , but it does have a plug in wire on it...

10

Does the mechanical and electric side have to both be replaced together?? To work properly ???

10

Or should i have the fuel pressure test done on it ???

8,420

did you attempt to get around a key recognition issue with a p1632 enhanced code ? Research for that should lead you to a bypass implementing a resistor if that was the case. Then you replaced the ignition lock cylinder or what because you said switch. I think correct handling must begin with a code check for your security issue possibilities, because it can shut down the spark. You may want to know what's what. with that before you continue diagnosis. You see these tests are all dependent upon one another, and information checks first, then trouble codes, then if a recall exists it must be performed. the issues safety recalls can raise makes that info pertinent. The other systems require power from the switch. if there was a problem it can cause many others.

8,420

Is it also possible you have a plug in wire there on the lock cylinder that is merely for the chime? To alert you to the key in, when you exit the vehicle? I dont know exactly on that. Noone I know ever takes advice, they do what they want, muck it all up, and tell made up stories. But anyway, if you have GM passlock, run all the codes you can asking for help at the parts store might lead to a successful recording of the codes and their definitions in a set of notes you make. Theen google them to figure out. Takes hours, but saves a few hundred.

10

Thank you dannyl, your information is helpfull

10

I will let you all know what i figure out...

625

Fuel filter would be my first choice. Cheap and easy to try.

8,420

We were saying that before, i was trying to get his interval. You could be right, the latest data on pump issues and causes of all the j-car complaints is waiting to change the filter. It has caused GM to react with a redesign that makes the fuel supply and delivery all one piece if You replace it. And NHTSA investigation cites "sulfur content of fuel" But the filter is very small and located behind the tank and ahead of the axle, drivers side, up from below. requires wrenches, and is less than $14 part. interval should be 15K unless the fuel is contaminated. Then you must clean it out and it's wise to have a locking cap. Since the fuel pump module is 300, it is worth it to clean and keep the filter replaced regularly. An already damaged system COULD require electrical connector repair, and further electrical testing to improve connectivity.

15

Dale, did you ever figure out the issue with your car? I'm having the same issue with my 2000 Grand Am. Any info is appreciated. Thank you, Mike