Possible Passlock issues?? 97 grand am

30

Asked by Feb 14, 2013 at 06:58 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

Did bypass last June. Ran fine. Last 3
weeks had it start and die 4-5 times but
only for a few seconds then it would start
up. Did it again the other night relearn did
nothing but kill battery. My brother
disconnected battery for a bit and cleaned
the instrument cluster fuse. Put fuse in and
car started right up. Ran for about 6 start
cycles and now stuck again. No idea if theft
light is on or flashing because no lights
come on and both gauges work. ANy
suggestions???

You did say that Both battery posts were wire brushed clean, the connecting clamps rinsed clean with a garden hose, and the ground lug at the frame and connection to the engine are ALL CLEAN and free of any debris whatsoever that there is no doubt we are workin with a SOLID electrical here~

30

Yes all are clean and free.

what's the way into the computer? is there a square plug called "diagnostic", or a series of lights we are supposed to pay attention to with the ignition on the first click, or what is the way to get your computer to let us know what's up? I could research this and get back to you, but you've been dealing with this and could tell me straight up what are the trouble codes?

30

No trouble codes have been checked. Last time at a shop it would start and they couldn't duplicate issue. Normally when I turn the key all lights and gauges come on and car starts. Right now I tu rn the key and hear the dinging of the seatbelt indicator but no gauges work and instrument panel is dark

21,835

sounds like a relay problem and check fuses also

30

Will be checking fuses tonight when I go back to the car. My brother was able to clean off a fuse Tuesday and car started but I tried today and still nothing on the instrument panel.

30

Replacing fuses didn't work. At a loss as what to do.

if you turn your ignition on the check engine light should come on, or flash...the computer is trying to tell us something...we gotta find out what it is, if we're gonna tackle this problem. Perhaps one of these old gurus who have been here a long time would know, I've only got three months or so, despite the relatively high standing- gotta quit answering without absolute certainty...loss of dignity-

If and when it does fire up, is there normal combustion? It isn't smokey..is it? Black smoke would indicate a bad O2 sensor white smoke would indicate leaking coolant. normal exhaust is good, but not the key to this puzzle- has the car been in a slight accident, one that touches the bumper and turns off fuel and electrical for safety purposes so we don't have fuel spray on impact. Suspecting a fuel cutoff instructs the ignition to shut down. Gotta go get the codes read, this will answer our puzzles.

probably a 'reset' button under the dash, in the trunk ? this is common for resetting this crippled by your safety devices, which could be the case. will have to research this,

30

Nothing flashes on the dash. When I turn the key nothing on the cluster works at all and the car will start but not stay running. With Gm this is usually a sign of a passlock problem just not sure why since I had the passlock bypassed. Last couple of days it has sat for a few hours and then after playing around with it the cluster will light up and then I know it'll start and stay running. Most times they say it's passlock if security light is flashing but nothing lights up so I can't tell. Will probably need to get it into the dealer

30

No accident and no smoke. Just realized my main post says both gauges work. But should be no gauges work. Nothing works on the instrument cluster. When it does the car starts fine

Help! DavidH25...Help! Llregal...Help smoothpapa help, please top three gurus, feel not qualified to put a toe into this one...HELP.