97 grand am, car runs 3 seconds, shuts down....

80

Asked by Nov 04, 2012 at 08:43 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

97 g.a.,77,000,3.1 auto,recently changed p.c. board in dash cluster,tried to "RELEARN" sys., but didnt work, is there any other way to bypass theft sys. ,or easier to swap computers??i think this is my prob.

34,275

Is the security light stuck on? Did this problem arise after all these parts were swapped or before?

80

anti theft light blinks for 10 mins, then steady,not sure if b4, but def. after. gonna try to re-learn sys. tomorrow again,

80

BTW, 97 has no resistor in the key(chip)

34,275

If that post starting "by the way" was a question answer is no it it doesn't and if that was a statement my response is I know. http:// www.cargurus.com/Cars/ Discussion- d475_ds505015

34,275

DTC P1626 Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Lost----- -----Refer to Power, Ground, MIL, and DLC .----- ----Circuit Description---- -------The Theft Deterrent System, called a Passlock System, is designed to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the engine unless the Passlock cylinder is correctly engaged by a mechanical key. The passlock System utilizes four components for theft detection, the lock cylinder, ignition switch, electronic instrument panel cluster (IPC), and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).------- -------When starting the engine, the PCM looks for a password from the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) through the UART serial data circuit. If the password is not recognized or not present, the PCM will disable the engine. There are two modes of tamper detection:----- -----Short Tamper Mode - Engine may start and stall quickly. The Theft System telltale will flash on the IPC for 4 seconds.------ ------- Long Tamper Mode (more than three starting attempts or an invalid password is received) - the engine is disabled for at least 10 minutes and the Theft System telltale will flash on the IPC for the 10 minutes.-------- --------If the engine is running and serial data communication is lost the engine will continue to run until the ignition is cycled. If serial data communication is not established while attempting to start, the engine will only start and stall. Once the vehicle has established Serial Data communication, the PCM will allow normal engine operation.-------- -----Additional information can be found in Section 9D, Theft Deterrent Systems.----- -----Conditions for Setting the DTC------- ----- An unrecognized or no password is sent to the PCM from the IPC.----- ------A bad timing cycle sent from the IPC to the PCM----- -----Action Taken When the DTC Sets------ -----The PCM will not illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).----- ----- The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Failure Records data only. This information will not be stored as Freeze Frame data.----- ----Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC----- ------ A History DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.------ ------ The DTC can be cleared by using the scan tool Clear Info function.------- ------Diagnostic Aids----- ------ An intermittent may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation, or a wire that is broken inside the insulation.-------- -------Any circuit that is suspected as causing the intermittent complaint should be thoroughly checked for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal to wiring harness.-------- ------ Additional can be found in section 9D Theft Deterrent Systems.-------

Best Answer
34,275

Password Learn Procedure In order for a theft deterrent vehicle to run, a password is communicated between the instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). If a PCM is replaced, the new PCM needs to learn the correct password of the vehicle. When the new PCM is installed, the EEPROM calibration is flashed into the new PCM and the vehicle will learn the new password upon initial ignition On. If the IPC is replaced, the PCM needs to learn the new password from the IPC. The Password learn procedure is as follows: 1. Attempt to start vehicle, then leave the ignition On. The Theft System telltale will flash for 10 minutes. 2. When the Theft System telltale stops flashing, start the vehicle. Once the vehicle is running, the password is learned.

80

thank you john....will try tomorrow & let u kno how i make out, had to charge batt.....was doin the right thing, jus lost batt. power....ill k.i.t. thanx again

34,275

the first of those three has a link in it referring you to an old post of mine, where i explained the same steps you mentioned about resetting the security system and him stating that the steps worked for him. that was just so you could see that the steps are real and not just a mean time wasting joke. the second two, are sections from the chiltons online repair manual about this issue. the first of the two is a diagnosis and the second is the steps to resolve it. if you read the middle or second of three posts thats where the question about the cluster being replaced and the issue arising before or after. it raises the question, was the correct cluster reinstalled? who put it in? and was everything plugged in? its midnight, i am crazy tired, and i hope all of that made sense. if you have any questions feel free to reply. i dislike the private messaging because i do this from my cell and the type two words thing annoys me. also i can refer back to this conversation later and even link people to it just like i did on that first post.

34,275

look forward to it.

80

john, i want to thank you for your help,charged the batt. up, re-installed new dash,borrowed a diagnostic tool from a friend,cleared codes,& she started right up....no problems. again, thanx for your effort & your time it made the job easier w/ your help...if you need anything, jus gimme a hollar.......mark

34,275

Awesome glad to hear the car is back on the road, happy and safe driving.

Helo, My grand am 1997 GT 3.1 v6 was not starting at all . had it look at by a service guy and was told that it has an electrical problem.he couldn't pin point the reason it wasn't starting and gave up on it. so searched for the reason my self on line and found John's security resetting steps and followed it and after about 15 minutes it was great to see it starting, that great news for me , thanks John

20

So what did you have to do to fix problem?

I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am se in my test system light stays on console only I was wondering what can I do to make the light go up go off

40

I have a 97 Pontiac Grand AM, I am having nothing but trouble with the Theft Lock. Now all the gauges have frozen on dash, should I just get rid of it or fix it it only has 12300 miles on it. Wish you could disconnect the stupid anti theft lock. Can you please help an bull headed old woman?