Ok 2day I gotta replace the starter in my girlfriends 97, pont grand am,2.4 L im a pretty decent mechanic. how longs this gonna take do u think?

55

Asked by Jan 30, 2013 at 07:38 AM about the 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr SE Coupe

Looks to me like no more than 2 hours, tops, probably less Identify the starter's location on the engine. On 1997 Pontiac Grand Am, the starter is found underneath the intake manifold and above the oil filter. The starter is the part that is about half the size of a football and looks like two cylindrical pieces joined together (one cylinder is larger than the other). Raise the Grand Am by driving it up on ramps. If it will not start, then you will need to raise it by using a floor jack and jack stands. Place the floor jack on the driver's side and raise it, placing the jack underneath the frame. Release the floor jack and do the same process on the passenger side of the car. Remove the oil filter from underneath the engine. In order to change the starter on a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am, you will need to remove the oil filter in order to access the bolts holding the starter into place. Put the oil filter face down on top of a drain pan so that excess oil can drain from it while you are replacing the starter. Disconnect the black battery cable from your car battery. This will ensure that you will not be electrocuted while working on your car's electrical system, part of which leads to the starter. Wait for fifteen minutes so that any potential electric charges can dissipate. Change your oil while you are waiting. Since you have to remove the oil filter, you might as well change the oil and put a new filter on after changing your starter. Be sure that you are not allowing any oil to leak on your driveway. Disconnect the electrical connection tab that is leading to your starter on your Grand Am. If it is stuck, then gently pry it with a flat-head screwdriver. Unscrew the copper nut holding the electrical wires into place in front of the starter. This will give you more room to work with as you remove your starter from the engine. Unscrew the two bolts holding the starter to the flywheel of your engine. Remove the bolts and then remove the starter. Slide the new starter into place and bolt in the holding bolts to secure it to the flywheel. If you are cranking on the bolts in order to get them into place, then you may not have proper alignment between the starter and the flywheel. If this is the case, then you will need to remove it and slide it back into place.

Matt I know that you already know most of that. Or all of it. I pasted it of course, in it's entirety just in case you do run into something you are not familiar with

And in case you need a snack while you are putting the starter in, here you are

Best Answer Mark helpful
55

Ohh!! I see two bags what time u gonna be here to help?hahaha.got another one for u. Also doin he fuel pump today on my 97 blazer 2wd 4door. Think I can knock em both outout with some time to spare? Hey thanks man.

55

and yeah I know the tanks gonna come down

Yeah, I assume you have a good tool kit. When I work on cars I spend as much time looking for that socket I dropped or wrench X or socket Y than I do turning bolts. An air, or even electric 3/8 drive ratchet saves a ton of time too. Going on that assumption you will have time to grab some Dorito's in your spare time. You can do it in less than a day for sure, unless you have to go to parts store 10X's

Relieve the pressure in the Blazer's fuel system. Loosen the Blazer's fuel filler cap. Open up the hood of your vehicle, and take out the fuel filter relay. The fuel filter relay is in the fuse block. Drain the Blazer's fuel tank. Siphon the gas out using the filler hose and a hand-held siphon pump to avoid having to use your mouth to siphon the fuel. Use a jack to lift the rear of the Blazer. Once the vehicle is lifted, use jack stands to support the vehicle's weight. Go to the front of the vehicle under the hood, and disconnect the battery. Remove the negative cable from the negative terminal. Use a jack to support the Blazer's fuel tank. Use a wrench to remove the Blazer's tank straps. Detach the vapor hose, fuel lines, and the electrical connector from the sending unit assembly. Remove the lock holding the sending unit assembly to the fuel tank. Use a hammer and punch to turn the lock to the left to undo it. Take the sending unit assembly off the fuel tank. Remove the old pump, and replace it with the new pump. Install a new O ring seal in the base of the sending unit. Put the sending unit back in the fuel tank, and reattach the clamp lock. Reconnect the Blazer's fuel lines, vapor hose, and the electrical connector. Lift the tank back up into the proper position to be mounted. Secure the tank using the tank straps you removed earlier. Remove the jack stands, and lower the vehicle to the ground. Connect the car's battery, and reinsert the fuel pump relay. Fill the tank with the proper fuel.

55

hey do both these vehicles take a the same size starter part number

Depends on what engine the Blazer has