how do i unlock the security lock, so it will run

Asked by Dec 02, 2014 at 10:56 AM about the 1996 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

tried everything to crank this car.and the security lock light will not go out and the redio
will not work.

10,375

Turn the ignition to the on position. Do not try to start. Leave the car in the on or "run" position for 12 minutes. You should see the security light go out on the dash. Once the light goes out, turn the key back off and then start. Your vehicle should start. I think the issue you are having is with the Passlock security system in the car. There is a sensor in the ignition lock cylinder which senses the correct "coded" key.

10,375

I should have mentioned above that this procedure will make the vehicle re-learn your key/ignition code. Hope this does work for you but keep in mind this may be only a temporary fix. You may have to have the sensor replaced if the same thing keeps re-occurring.

10,375

Refer to this thread as well. Some good information here: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-c3290_ds454912

7,310

I had one like this, it had an enhanced 1632 code. after 4 minutes, the security light went out, it started. we went to the parts store to read the codes. we did not get any parts, instead we read all about the issues and parts people were replacing. we found a site that the writer had constructed asking for donations. his simplistic bypass fix was so simple and required the tech to have a resistor and basic electrical repair tools. I recommend reading it and asking your favorite tech if he will perform the operation for you. It's googlicious.

Thanks

45

Mark, I'm reviving this... my question is... I'm about to switch out my instrument cluster. This looks plug in and go. Will this affect the security system and can I use your fix in the first paragraph? I have an 03... I've only read this happening in the older models, I just want to be sure.

245

Check out this site in the link below http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix If the instrument cluster is compatible it should work, however you should repost this as a new question so other people know you have a different question. good luck hope this helps.