I replaced the starter on my 1996 grand am plus I had to change the battery

Asked by Nov 04, 2013 at 01:01 PM about the 1996 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

now the anti theft light is staying on I tried the reset with the key but nothing is working plus my key doesnt have a compture chip in it what else can I do?

6,925

The only thing you can do is replace the key with one that has the correct chip, otherwise you will forever have anti-theft issues with the car.

but the car key is the one that came with the car

10

D My anti-theft was acting up as well.Reset with the ignition in the 0n position for 10 minutes worked 3 times....On the 4th time (within 7 months),That would no longer work.....Anti-theft stayed on,was about to just scrap the car.....I tried one other solution. I took it to a auto-service. He was stumped as well. The mechanic apparently called for even futher assitance. He was told to replace the "instrument cluster". That is what he did and have never had a problem since.....Costed me $500.00 which is pretty cheap considering I know have a very realiable car. Auto-stores sell brand new ones at apprx. $500.00 This particular mechanic found one a lot Cheaper (don't know where or even care,,,,,as long as it works)......Anyway, if you want to keep your '96 grand am , you'll most likely have to Change the "instrument cluster".