Power steering suddenly does not work

Asked by Jan 01, 2009 at 06:50 PM about the 1996 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr GT Sedan

Just wondering if anyone knows what would cause the power steering to suddenly not work.  It worked driving into work, then when I left this AM, it didnt work.  I stopped and bought some fluid and it took the whole container of it but never fixed the problem even after warming the car up and driving for awhile.  Any ideas?

10

well there are a few possible factors that could have come into play 1: when was the last time u changeed ur fluid cuz wat happens is over time the pump internals will clog up and then evetually sieze, as well if the fluid is really old wat happens is it weres out and the chemicals break down tunring into water almost not really but it is the only thing i can compare it to. 2: the belt could be worn out or broken 3:you could aslo have an air lock some were in the power steering lines