1995 grand am won't start. No power to fuel pump or dash lights. Started then wouldn't start gain. Moving shifter made lights flicker a moment then nothing. Can anyone help?

Lorrie Rash

Asked by Dec 02, 2015 at 11:11 PM about the 1995 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

Sounds like a main connection problem, check all the battery cables for corrosion and proper connections first then start with harness connectors, make sure they are clean, and all of the pins are locked in place, pay close attention to them as there could also be burned contacts especially at the main bulkhead connector, after all of those are done then check the grounds, inside the dash area, it only takes one to cause all kinds of wierd problems. This can be a time consuming operation, you might consider getting a good shop manual with componet locator in it, or your local library might have one in the reference section that you can photo copy the section you need. HTH

I'd go for the battery ground cable attachment at the engine after I made sure the battery connex on the side posts were extra clean. Do not over tighten the 5/16 headed bolts on the cables though as that can break the side post seals --- if that's not already the reason why you have trouble now.MOST all troubles in a DC system happen in the ground circuit, but not 100% of the time.

Addendum: the throttle cable can burn if the engine ground is defective. Be careful as the starter will try to be one grounded through any metal pathway it can find.

Delete "one" from previous post. I hate spellcheckers.