freon smell

Asked by Jul 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM about the 1995 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

I paid a mechanic to repair my ac in my car. When he
brought it back it blower cold, but the smell of freon
was overwhelming. After a day it stopped blowing  cold
and the smell was gone. I paid him $650.00 and he
wants me to pay him again to put more freon in the ac
unit. There must be a leak somewhere. He wants me to
pay Jim to come out and put more freon and pay him
for the additional freon used. I don't think I should
pay him another dime.

3,340

Theres a pretty serious leak somewhere. Any tech would know that if your AC blows warm then most likely its a leak. He shouldve corrected or at least found the issue before doinf anything else. Seeing as how the smell is very strong, Im guessing you have a leak somewhere in the evaporator core, which is in the dash and is in the path of the incoming air into the passenger compartment. Not an easy job to replace it, but for $650, he shouldve done it the first time. Sounds like all he did was recharge it and beat you for your money.

sounds like the expansion valve or evap core is leaking. what exactly did he do for $650 ? he certainly didn't check for leaks like he should have before charging the system. i would take it back to him & make fix it without any cost to you. If he gives you a hard time treaten him with the better business bureau.

2,875

sounds like an evaporator leak

That's something a good mechanic would have known right. Well there's always someone out there to take advantage of unknowing women.I guess that's my lesson learned. Thank you for your insite.

2,875

evaporator repair can get rather expensive. considering the age of your car you might be better off to replace it than repair it.....

Thanks trip65 but I'm actually in Texas. I just hope he does fix my ac right cause it is hot as heck here. Hate to be one if those that doesn't pay for services rendered, but he's not getting another don't from me.

if he gives you a hard time i'd call the BBB. he sounds like a real crook. i cant see how he justifies 650 bucks just to charge the system when he didn't check for leaks or anything like that. He put about $50 worth of freon ,that takes no more than a half hour if your really slow. lol. i wish you luck and hope it all works out .

I plan on doing just that. Cause if he thinks he's getting one more dime from me he's totally wacked. The key is to get him to fix it. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the input.

2,875

replacing an evaporator can cost up to1200 dollars, lot of labor, plus evaporators are not cheap, then there is the 150 to charge the system....so good luck with that idiot, sounds like he doesnt know what he is doing

Thanks I'm not wasting any more time or money on this goff ball. I do plan on reporting him. Maybe I'll get my money back. Paid everything with a check to hold in to a paper trail in memo is for what the service rendered. That's what what I get for trying someone on Craigslist.

2,875

i suggest you trade the old car in for a newer one, less problems in the future and get one with ice cold air, your 95 grand am has to be w\orth something, plus if you put in the money you would hav spent to fixAC should give a nice car down payment

You know that is what I should have done, but was trying to save money. By the way he just text me and asked for an additional $200 to fix my problem. Lol! I told Jim that wasn't our deal and hell would freeze over before he hit another file.

2,875

good luck!!

Thanks!