water on floor on driver side

Asked by Jan 10, 2007 at 02:55 PM about the 1995 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr GT Sedan

I have water on the floor of the driver side and nothing was spilled and under the hood there is a loud noise where the belt is that wraps around sometings what could be these problems

16,985

Hello Can you please provide more details? When does the water appear? Is it always there? Is it definitely water, or is it at all discolored or perhaps some other fluid? Thanks CarGrrl

14,100

Dear sheilabob10-- I can't see a relation between the noise and the water. Usually if there is water on the floor of the driver side you have left a window open or you have a sunroof that needs maintenance. There are drains at the four corners of the sunroof that sometimes get clogged. Feel your headliner. Is it damp or does it show signs of dampness? Use a blast of air or a clotheshanger to unclog the drains. As for the noise, it doesn't sound as if you are a do-it-yourselfer. Let a professional hear it before a minor problem causes a worse one. Good luck from Bovan.

It is still there and it doesn't smell or have color to it its clear

16,985

Hello, Unfortunately, this seems to be a pretty common problem in 1995 Grand Ams. Here is a link to a discussion on the topic: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0ec59a/0 It may be caused by bad weatherstripping, a rusty spot, or a leak elsewhere. Take a read through, and hopefully it will help diagnose your problem. Best of luck! CarGrrl

I Had the same problem in my 95. My mechanic found holes in the firewall. Since he has filled the holes, only a bit still comes in. The first time it happened I had 3 inches of water on the drivers side. My 95 is just recently bed ridden. It over heats after around 10 minutes of driving. I replaced the head gasket 10 months ago and my mechanic thinks it is the head itself (cracked). Any other ideas because looks like it is going to be fairly expensive. thanks 95GAM

As with many GM products - they are racked with problems from poor engineering because of poor management. Reason why "we the people" own GM. Reason why I will not buy GM. Water inside could be be from firewall holes, welds at firewall, heater core (psgr side), moulding leaks. Also trunk leaks due to broken taillight plastic studs - the low quality plastic fails, allowing H2O to pass by the foam gasket - drill hole in wheel well and replug with rubber stay. Sell or trade it in on a newer vehicle!