why does my 94 grand am start then die?

10

Asked by Jul 03, 2014 at 08:30 PM about the 1994 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

Car will crank,run a few minutes then die.You have to wait several hours before it will start
again and then dies.We have replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter,coils and cover,spark plugs
and ignition module.Now mechanic said it was the crank sensor,so we are getting one
Friday.

34,635

There's not many parts you can throw at it, so that might just be it.

10

Found where the crank sensor is and the bolt was loose and the sensor had broke off .how can we get it out withot damage to anything else?

34,635

By chance can you use a magnet? (Iam Not sure what it's made of) Or can you get something with glue on it and stick it on and work it out that way?

10

will try anything

10

a magnet will not work,already tried

34,635

Now that you have found out the problem, I suggest you repost describing what you have found. More people will see it and maybe someone who's had that problem can give you a solution. There's got to be a way.

10

Looked at several websites this morning.One said when you get the sensor out ,turn crank and look in the hole to make sure magnet is still there and hadnt fell out.So I ask my husband why cant we turn crank a little to see if it would push sensor out.They did and it moved magnet so they could get the old sensor that had broke out.Got it back together.running now but will drive more Monday to see if that was all of problem.

10

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t12166712- replace_camshaft_sensor_1994_pontiac This is the site I went too.

34,635

Sounds like you're fixed theproblem. I sure hope so. Let me know if that's the cure. :-)

10

So far our car is running fine.I have been afraid to say anything ,thinking it might quit again.

34,635

Glad to hear that. Sounds like you're found the problem. Now Sshhhh.:-)