94 grand am SE 3.1 car was driving down interstate and just died. I have changed both crank sensors, cam sensor, timing chain, had ignition control module and coil packs tested. I have 42 lb of fuel pressure on rail... still doesn't start

Asked by Apr 26, 2013 at 06:00 PM about the 1994 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr SE Sedan

well let's look at the basics, shall we? air, fuel, spark, timing~ air filter is not choked, PVC valve is in place? there are no vacuum leaks going into the intake plenum? Fuel should have some pressure, when you put the key in the 'on' position should hear the fuel pump turning and circulating fuel through the fuel loop. there's a fuel filter in that arrangement too- It has spark? you can pull a plug and witness sparking happening?...next timing....did you screw up the timing chain replacement...is easy to do...aren't you getting any cough cough....nothing....I can't believe my ears~~

ok, air filter is removed for testing purposes, pvc valve is in place, no vacuum leaks that I could locate, 42 lb of fuel pressure on fuel rail when key is in ON position, stays at 42-45 lb of pressure while cranking. Has spark on all 6 spark plugs, aligned both marks towards each other using the damper as reference point. Old timing chain seemed to be "IN" time. but was a little loose so I replaced it.. it does try to start runs while cranking and maybe 1/2 second after releasing KEY.

good compression there on that engine? off by a tooth would not give you good compression. if the timing cover was off would triple check it now, and check the tensioner for the timing chain...should be held tight with maybe .08 (2 mm) travel allowed in that~

not givin' full compression is what this ear is hearing~