car will not start. when turning the key i do not hear the starter grind or click. i do have all dashlights

1109pajesw
0

Asked by Sep 06, 2007 at 11:43 AM about the 1994 Pontiac Grand Am 2 Dr GT Coupe

Tuesday 9/4 I started and drove my car roughly 25 miles to an appointment. When done with my appointment I got in my car and it would not start. I was out of my car for 20 minutes. I did not notice anything wrong when I was driving my car, no noises, and my gauges all read normal. When I turned the key in the ignition all I got was the normal dashlights and seatbelt sound. I heard nothing from the starter or the engine. After about 45 minutes I finally got the car to start. I had tried off and on through out this time to start my car. When I got the car started I drove it home. Again everything seemed to be fine. I turned the car off in my driveway then tried to start the car again and it would not start. This is the first time this has happened. I have tried since then to start my car and it will not start. My ignition key has gotten hot before. But I don't recall if it was hot that day.

dvigano
13,165

Hi 1109pajesw, Unfortunately, Grand Ams are notorious for this type of problem. This issue is normally associated with the theft deterant system and (to my knowledge) can only be resolved via the dealership. Hopefully yours (cross your fingers) may be a different issue. Good luck!

Mike Pennings
45

battery, re[lace is

A Facebook user
805

a 94 grand am does NOT have theft deterant systems other than the door locks. if the car started after tryin a few times within a 45 minute period its probably the starter. if its a 3100 (3.1L) the starter is at the front of the engine and can be accessed easily from underneth. tap lighty like your trying the crack the shell on a hard boiled egg on the end of the starter, when it won't start while someone is tryin to start it to verify that the starter is the problem. i say tap lightly because if you get it rebuilt they have a permanent style magnet on the casing and if you crack the magnet its junk and you will have to buy new. also make sure the check engine light/service engine light comes on the dash. i know you said all the lights come on but that is the most important one. if it doesn't light up the pcm has lost communication and could be faulty or just the connection goin in or comin out could be bad. hope that helps. p.s. i am a certified tech and drive a 1995 grand am

A Facebook user
805

that does not apply to the 94 model year.

Steven Brooks
105

actually this just happened to me you just need a new batter and u will run even better than b4

krogfu
0

This happen to me alot. I bought new battery it worked good for three days thought I had it fixed. I even tried u tube trick. Where u leave key on for ten min. It worked. Been trying to do it again and it dont work. They say I can fix problem, if I buy new ignition. But they say its not permanent. That cost $335.00 to get locks. If you ask me its a scam. They know these cars have these problems, but they do nothing to fix them. They have recalls on these cars. They say the ignition effects the air bags so they will put rings in ignition r some type of key cover they say it will fix airbags. And stop it from cutting off while driving. Never had those problems. But they explained to me that if the security is messing up then I have another problem and if need that fixed I would have to pay. Most of there problems r the ignition. But they want recall. Ive been slightly tinkering with my car running test to find problem and my appinnion is ignition is the problem. Their mess up they should fix it. Im a peed off grandam owner. Have lost alot of time dealing with this Im going to replace ignition if that dont work. It will be for sale r scap.

Joshua Crowder
75

jump the solonoid and if nothing happens its your starter. if its a manual tranny there is a clutch switch that will inhibit starting if its bad. bypass it if so. useless

Gary_B_Snow
0

From a different thread on this site. I used these instructions and it only took 15 minutes to perform the procedures. Robbie2599 3 months ago Best Answer This is the complete relearn procedure, it should reset in 10 mins. but could take a little more than 30 minutes but easy to do. Your ignition has 4 positions 1.Off 2.ACC 3.On 4.Start (Cranks over & springs back to 3.On) Step 1 – Attempt to start the vehicle, this is the "start" position. It will crank, and start for 1-2 seconds then stall. The security light will be on or flashing. Leave the key in the ‘on’ position for 10-11 minutes, then the security light will stay solid or go off. Step 2 – Turn the key to the ‘off’ position for no less 10 seconds. Attempt to start the vehicle. If it runs at this point then you have reset your passlock. If the problem persists you can continue repeat Step 1 two more times. Make sure turn the key to the ‘off’ position for 10 seconds before each 10 minute cycle. Hopefully your car is running by now Step 3 – The vehicle is now ready to relearn the proper code. Turn the key ‘off’ for 15 seconds and then ‘crank’ the vehicle. it showuld start back up now. The security light might stay on solid for several minutes afterwards.