The battery icon light on my 1999 Plymouth voyager comes on intermittently. The car seems to start and run fine. Battery checks out as good. Alternator issue?

10

Asked by Feb 13, 2013 at 06:43 PM about the 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager 4 Dr SE Passenger Van Extended

19,995

sounds like,,if no codes , if it fails out the van dont run ,from that point,and most tests dont show bad

795

How do you know the battery is good?

10

I took it to Interstate Battery, where I purchased it Sept 6, 2012. They it to a machine while running and off. They also checked the liquids in it. They also checked the alternator with a machine, but the battery icon light was not on, so it registered as working/charging. They cleaned terminals and put red gunk on them.........praying that takes care of it. Of course, it didn't act up when I had it in for evaluation.......isn't that the way it always goes? Thanks for your response.

232,445

If the battery and alternator check out fine, then I would check your cable connections to the battery and alternator and grounds. They might be frayed or loose causing the intermittance.

795

The most likely problem is your Generator. The brushes internally are probably worn or stuck in their holders. Other possible causes are Blown fuse, loose wiring or defective Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Autozone does a check for free, the next time the light comes on I would take it there. Sorry for no definite answer.

10

Thank you all for your responses and ideas. Light came on again today and remained on this time. It was the alternator not charging the battery. New alternator and labor is expensive! Van runs nicely now. Thanks.