How can I convince my dad to get rid of a 98 Plymouth grand voyageur?

Asked by Jan 01, 2015 at 11:31 AM about the 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager 4 Dr SE Passenger Van Extended

We have five vehicels that run
perfectly (he bought a suburban
specifically to replace it). The grand
voyageur has been siting there
hogging a parking spot rusting away
for the past 3 years. Everytime I bring
up the topic of getting rid of it, he
gets really offensive and changes the
topic.  And as far as I can tell,
nothing special has happened in the

I know it is irrational to get attached to cars, but maybe it does hold a memory for your dad. Maybe if you found a family that could really use a good deal on a car. lots of young families struggle. he might be more receptive if he knew it would be helping someone out.

He's not ready yet. I've gotten attached to vehicles as well. My '66 Cadillac, for example. I bought it when I was young (22 years old) and still have many fond memories of that car. I used it to move into my first apartment, went to the shore by myself for the first time in it. Other things that made that car special to me were it was the last car that my Dad and I worked on together before he got sick. Then it was that car that I drove in his funeral. It was the pall bearers car, right behind the hearse and the limousine. I actually stopped driving it in 1995 but didn't sell it until 2001. I was getting ready to move into my house and there wasn't parking for 3 cars. About 2 weeks before I moved a young man, about in his early 20s, knocked on my door and asked about "the old rusty Caddy parked out front". He told me he really wanted it and that he was going to school for auto mechanics and his buddy was going to school for auto body. I decided to sell it to him a few days later. He was so excited when he came to get it that I felt good about selling it to him. I was ready to let it go and move on. He even called me to tell me he drove it home, 100 miles away, with no problems. My '00 Grand Prix, that I own, I have for sentimental reasons. When your Dad is ready he'll let it go. In the meantime why not keep it running and use it once in a while. I drive my Grand Prix about once a month. I enjoy it because it has a lot of fond memories for me. Maybe the minivan is that way for your Dad. Parents don't always tell their kids everything! HTH. -Jim