Change to a manual transaxle on Plymouth Voyager 3,0 V6Grand SE 1989?

Asked by Jan 13, 2009 at 03:09 PM about the 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3 Dr SE Passenger Van Extended

I am tired of change automatic transaxles on my car, so I hould like to know if anyone could recommend a stronger manual transaxle 5 speed to make sutiable on my car.
My own idea is to get a transaxle from any V6 frontwheel drive car preferably a V6 and modify the fasting to the engine block and welding the driveshafts. I am not afraid of the work as long there is a good "oldfashioned" transaxle that can stand a 200000-or more kilometers before shutting down. I am not interseted in any good advices about using the automatic, then in case it must be bulletproof.However there is an andiitional question : will this affect the elctronic ignition circuiut int the car?  

7,505

1- How many transmissions have you put on this car already? (125,000 miles should be obtainable from the stock tranny so are you beating teh hell out of them or simpleing buying used trannies that have set for months/years in junkyards) 2- You can't weld the drive shafts together you'd need a custom input shaft most likely on the transmission to mate up properly to the engine. Luckily chances are there is a manual available that wil bolt up, dunno what it is but chances are. 3- Linkage. Custom linkage likely a modified cable shifter setup. Even if you dumpster dive many of the parts you're talk about 300+ dollars. 4- Anyway you slice it this is going to be expensive and likely not reliable. Short and simple, it's not going to be cheap, it's not going to be reliable and it's going to cost a lot. You're better off just getting a properly rebuilt auto tranny. If that doesn't dissuade you go to a forum where people regularly do custom FWD tranny setups. Get a realistic cost and time line in your head before you start.

motor mounts sounds like problem