no start

10

Asked by Nov 07, 2010 at 11:55 AM about the 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr SL Sedan

Car would not start. Put in new battery, ran fine for three weeks then dead. Charged back up and every two to three weeks would be dead. Now its just a couple of days, and it dies. Checks good under load, and when i disconnect battery is still around 11 volts. Any ideas what the problem could be?

30

alternator? or you could have a slow draw.. make sure are all terminals are clean and tight

10

Alternator tested fine with load tester. terminals are clean and tight. I think it is a slow draw. I am going to replace both terminal wires with new ones to see if that helps. Thanks!

10

Replaced both wires and still same problem. Charge lasted two days then dead. Battery still reads 12.4 volts, must be the amps. When i hook up jumper cables, i hear a loud click and then it starts. Could it be the starter? or alternator?

10

Replaced both wires and still same problem. Charge lasted two days then dead. Battery still reads 12.4 volts, must be the amps. When i hook up jumper cables, i hear a loud click and then it starts. Could it be the starter? or altenator? Any idea's?

35

I had this problem when I first got mine. the voltage regulator in the alt was bad. everything tested fine when running but the proper charging amps weren't making it to the battery. I'm not sure about the newer models like yours but I believe the alternators are still internally regulated so either swap or reman the one you've got and it should squash the problems.